Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of these topics have popped up and I do look through them myself but anyone who is doing the following subjects: Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR) & Maths (C1, C2, M1 - Edexcel) have any advice to share on how to achieve an A grade? I haven't been slacking as in I don't know anything, I'm just a bit nervous for the exams. I've done the course for my two exams in January (Unit 1 - Biology & Chemistry) but still don't feel that confident. I'd appreciate all advice and if you really have something stupid or negative to say, don't. Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    Which OCR Chemistry course do you do? Chemistry A or Salters?

ReputationRep:
    Revise everyday.
    Even a hour for each subject each day will be okay.
    Also, do every single pst paper you can find.
    The specimen papers tend to be harder so try them too.
    Go to workshops if your college runs them for extra support.
    Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do for maths is loads and loads of past papers. It's not very interesting but you'll soon have practiced pretty much every sort of questions so when it comes to the exam there won't be any questions that you have no idea what to do. I did AQA chemistry but it'll be similar, do past papers for that too but also revision notes/posters for the definitions etc that need to be remembered. I didn't do biology but it's similar to chemistry. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Which OCR Chemistry course do you do? Chemistry A or Salters?
    Chemistry A

And thanks guys! Will rep all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    Chemistry A

And thanks guys! Will rep all
    So you're doing Atoms, Bonds and Groups then. Well, my technique was to just read over the course, make sure everything was understood, and then I did tonnes of past papers until I was confident I could do well in the exam. The exam is as much of a test of your ability to give answers that adhere to the mark scheme as it is a test of your understanding of Chemistry, so I felt the past papers were particularly important.

ReputationRep:
    I took my A Levels last academic year and although I didn't do the same exam boards as you (OCR for Biology and WJEC for Chemistry) my revision technique was to go on the exam boards' websites and download the specification (the part which tells you exactly what you need to know for the entire course).
    Then I'd work out how many points were on the spec and how many I needed to do per day in order to get all the work done with one week or so left before the exam. I'd use my textbooks etc to read through all the information on a point on the spec, consolidate it onto paper and then cut it down again on to a revision card. I found it really helpful having a set target for every day and being able to tick off points when I'd been over them. It meant that I could do what I was supposed to and then relax without feeling guilty. Also, if I didn't do as much work as I was supposed to one day I'd have to recalibrate the number of points I had to do per day which kind of motivated me to do what I need to.
    And I'd drink black coffee with sugar if I was feeling low on energy or alertness!
    Most nights before I went to bed or something I'd just sit down and read through the revision cards I'd done so far - obviously this takes longer the closer you get to the exam because you're making more each day.
    Then, in the week I had left I'd spend each day going over my cards and doing as many past papers as I could find.
    If you can't find the specification on the exam boards' websites, your teacher will have it or will know where to find it. Also, teachers often have access to past papers and marking schemes that students don't.
    Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.