Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Where i work, the rota's are updated weekly. However, they are often only put up the day before the rota changes, so often you rely on texting work friends/phoning up to see when you're next working.

I usually phone up, however this month im a bit short on cash, like i can barely afford to pay the rent and travel to work (my work underpaid me), so i'm only using my phone in emergancies. I e-mailed a work collegue instead, and asked about the rota. She e-mailed me the rota, and i asked her to confirm that it was next weeks, and she said it was.

It turns out that it wasn't this week's rota. And i got a call saying that i was meant to be working today. I'm really worried about going in, i didn't know i was working. The person on the end of the phone just said 'that's fine, come in at four and just make sure to check the rota to see when you're next working.'

I really hope i don't get into trouble, i really need this job to survive. I feel awful not phoning in and checking, but i can't afford to top up my phone and i thought the rota was for this week. I know this sounds bad, but they don't e-mail the new rota to anyone, or put it up early so that people know when they're next working. Sometimes i've rang on the afternoon before it changes and it's still not been put up.

ReputationRep:
    You only missed one shift .. jesus..

Is this matalan? sounds like when i worked there, it was terrible.

Such bad business culture. Have a talk to the shift manager or whoever is responsible for it. Tell them that a simple email of rota's to everyone will be very helpful to ALL employees and would stop things like this happening, or atleast stop the employee having an excuse like 'i didnt realise'. If they dont do it .. well then they are idiots, i sometimes thought i could run the matalan store i worked at better than the managers, they were hopeless :facepalm:

In the mean time, look for another job. Rubbish shift system and underpaying you =/= a good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Where i work, the rota's are updated weekly. However, they are often only put up the day before the rota changes, so often you rely on texting work friends/phoning up to see when you're next working.

I usually phone up, however this month im a bit short on cash, like i can barely afford to pay the rent and travel to work (my work underpaid me), so i'm only using my phone in emergancies. I e-mailed a work collegue instead, and asked about the rota. She e-mailed me the rota, and i asked her to confirm that it was next weeks, and she said it was.

It turns out that it wasn't this week's rota. And i got a call saying that i was meant to be working today. I'm really worried about going in, i didn't know i was working. The person on the end of the phone just said 'that's fine, come in at four and just make sure to check the rota to see when you're next working.'

I really hope i don't get into trouble, i really need this job to survive. I feel awful not phoning in and checking, but i can't afford to top up my phone and i thought the rota was for this week. I know this sounds bad, but they don't e-mail the new rota to anyone, or put it up early so that people know when they're next working. Sometimes i've rang on the afternoon before it changes and it's still not been put up.
    I got told that it was the law to put the rota up 2 weeks in advance :confused: Dont know how true that is though, you could always mention its hard to get your hours if they keep putting them up so late.
    • TSR Support Team

Well that's bad if you couldn't work because you are at college, sounds like they are ****ing you over, i'd least speak to whos in charge and say look i'm in education, they did this to me when I worked at Woolworths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    You only missed one shift .. jesus..

Is this matalan? sounds like when i worked there, it was terrible.

Such bad business culture. Have a talk to the shift manager or whoever is responsible for it. Tell them that a simple email of rota's to everyone will be very helpful to ALL employees and would stop things like this happening, or atleast stop the employee having an excuse like 'i didnt realise'. If they dont do it .. well then they are idiots, i sometimes thought i could run the matalan store i worked at better than the managers, they were hopeless :facepalm:

In the mean time, look for another job. Rubbish shift system and underpaying you =/= a good job.
    I know it's only one shift, but i've not been there very long. Plus, i've never missed a shift ever in my old jobs!

I agree though, in my old job they'd e-mail the rota out around five days before the end of the week, so there wasn't any excuse for not knowing your hours. Here, they are pinned up outside the office the day before the rota comes into effect, which isn't much use if you have a day off that day.

I am looking for a new job at the moment, so hopefully i wont be there too much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_T)
    I got told that it was the law to put the rota up 2 weeks in advance :confused: Dont know how true that is though, you could always mention its hard to get your hours if they keep putting them up so late.
    Hmm i don't know if that's true either. I just thought for them at least, it'd be better to put the hours up early, so that everyone would know when they were working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_T)
    Hmm, im not sure if that's true either. Although i agree, if im not working the day before the new rota comes into effect, then i don't know when i am working. The alternatives are phoning up (but i am out of credit and barely have any money), or e-mailing work collegues, which is what i did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Well that's bad if you couldn't work because you are at college, sounds like they are ****ing you over, i'd least speak to whos in charge and say look i'm in education, they did this to me when I worked at Woolworths.
    Hey thanks for your reply. Im not actually in education anymore, i finished in the summer. However, i did have other things planned as i assumed i was not working.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly valid reason as to why, you're conscientious enough to feel bad about it, and I'm sure they know you're a good worker..

I wouldn't worry! Just be apologetic (which I'm sure you will be) and maybe tactfully suggest that they think of a better way of letting people know the rota..
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Hey thanks for your reply. Im not actually in education anymore, i finished in the summer. However, i did have other things planned as i assumed i was not working.
    Still it's bad that they do that, I mean putting the rota for the next week up the day before while people have days off, that's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal)
    Perfectly valid reason as to why, you're conscientious enough to feel bad about it, and I'm sure they know you're a good worker..

I wouldn't worry! Just be apologetic (which I'm sure you will be) and maybe tactfully suggest that they think of a better way of letting people know the rota..
    I was apolgetic . Thankfully no one seemed to say anything.

I'll suggest to them putting up the rota a week beforehand or so, so that everyone will know their shifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Still it's bad that they do that, I mean putting the rota for the next week up the day before while people have days off, that's a joke.
    Yeah, it's not the best of ideas. Thankfully they didn't say anything to me when i came in. I'll suggest putting up the rotas earlier though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.