Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its prime essay season again and once again I'm worrying about referencing. I have never knowingly copied somebody's work and never would, yet the amount of focus that is placed on referencing is insane. I always worry if I'm over referencing to be cautious or not enough. In the end I usually spend more time referencing an essay than it takes for me to write the damn thing!

I can understand the importance of references, and its beneficial particularly if you want to go into journalism etc (where you need watertight sources) but at university level should they perhaps relax a bit? I sometimes feel creativity in essay writing is stifled by guidelines and rules, which is funny when most of the leading academics are those who break boundaries and go further with their research.

Anyway, anyone agree? Or should the rules be made even more stringent?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's right that if you're using someone else's ideas you should reference them to effectively give them credit for the original idea.

I agree with what you say about creativity though, I never feel like I can give my own opinion or suggest something of my own without finding someone else who's said it first. Anything I do say which is my own idea I get paranoid that someone else has said it somewhere before that I've not found and I'll get done for copying.

I did once get sort of accused of plagiarism but not formally - it was the first essay I did at uni so I think they were more lenient then. It was a sentence that my tutor said didn't sound like something a student had written when I swear it didn't copy it, it's just my style of writing. I did think that was extremely unfair!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.