Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking for people to travel with. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm on my gap year at the minute and have spent the first few months working/seeing sights/dossing and have sworn since day one that after Christmas, which is when my bank account should be nicely topped up, my adventures will begin.

The only trouble is that none of my friends seem to share my enthuthiasm. They're all either at uni, in full time work or too much enjoying spending their money on going out nightly to sign up and come see the world with me.

I'm not afraid to go on my own and if it comes to it I definitely will, but I'd really love to go in a group or meet new people and have some great people to share it with and just make the experience so much better.

So does anyone know any good sites or groups I can join where like-minded people can meet and go travelling together a la C4's coach trip??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same as you, I definitely want to go travelling, but none of my friends, family share my enthusiasm so I've got no one to go with however seeing as I'm still in sixth-form and therefore am too young to travel and don't really have the money it's all right for now, but in the future I will go travelling! Anyway back to topic can't you like set up a notice at your uni or something? That's all I got, but good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Join the club, im going to thialand for 3 months on my own at the end of feb. Would be nice if my freinds wanted to go but im afraid the sense of adventure is lost to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gee-wa)
    Hi,
    I'm on my gap year at the minute and have spent the first few months working/seeing sights/dossing and have sworn since day one that after Christmas, which is when my bank account should be nicely topped up, my adventures will begin.

The only trouble is that none of my friends seem to share my enthuthiasm. They're all either at uni, in full time work or too much enjoying spending their money on going out nightly to sign up and come see the world with me.

I'm not afraid to go on my own and if it comes to it I definitely will, but I'd really love to go in a group or meet new people and have some great people to share it with and just make the experience so much better.

So does anyone know any good sites or groups I can join where like-minded people can meet and go travelling together a la C4's coach trip??

Thanks
    Hiya,

I'm in exactly the same position as you! I decided last minute to defer my entry to uni because I fancied a year off but now I'm beginning to regret because my friends are either at uni/full time job/retaking and just generally not interested in going travelling.

I want to go after christmas/january as well, and I've been checking out gapyear.com- it has quite a lot of forums.

Where were you thinking of going travelling? It would be great to know someone before going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise89)
    Hiya,

I'm in exactly the same position as you! I decided last minute to defer my entry to uni because I fancied a year off but now I'm beginning to regret because my friends are either at uni/full time job/retaking and just generally not interested in going travelling.

I want to go after christmas/january as well, and I've been checking out gapyear.com- it has quite a lot of forums.

Where were you thinking of going travelling? It would be great to know someone before going.
    Well it's nice to hear it's not just me I guess Regret's creeping in for me too because I just feel that if I don't get out of my hometown it really was a waste of a year!

I really don't have any major preference, though I think I'd prefer mainland Europe just for visa/money reasons. But really I just want to get out there and see the world and I think now, while I'm young and relatively responsibility free is the best chance I'm ever going to get.

What about you? Did you have anywhere in mind when you chose to defer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I am exactly the same as you, I definitely want to go travelling, but none of my friends, family share my enthusiasm so I've got no one to go with however seeing as I'm still in sixth-form and therefore am too young to travel and don't really have the money it's all right for now, but in the future I will go travelling! Anyway back to topic can't you like set up a notice at your uni or something? That's all I got, but good luck anyway!
    That's a really good idea actually, but unfortunately I don't start uni until september. There is however a fourm for my uni on this site, so I may do it on there.

Good luck with your A-Levels and future travel!

(Original post by mrk12a)
    Join the club, im going to thialand for 3 months on my own at the end of feb. Would be nice if my freinds wanted to go but im afraid the sense of adventure is lost to them.
    I know, it's horrible, makes me feel quite alienated. What will you be getting up to in Thailand?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's nice to hear it's not just me I guess Regret's creeping in for me too because I just feel that if I don't get out of my hometown it really was a waste of a year!

I really don't have any major preference, though I think I'd prefer mainland Europe just for visa/money reasons. But really I just want to get out there and see the world and I think now, while I'm young and relatively responsibility free is the best chance I'm ever going to get.

What about you? Did you have anywhere in mind when you chose to defer?

I feel exactly the same, I don't really want a black hole on my cv especially as it was my decision to take this bloody gap year! I'm so sick of England already.

No not really, I think i naively thought that I would find some volunteer organisation but all of them are either really expensive or unethical and I don't know which ones to trust.

Europe would be good, especially as it's safe and interrailing looks really fun.
    I'm half thinking about booking a flight to New Zealand and hopefully meet with some fellow backpackers to tag along with and travel with them...but I;m scared I'll just end up alone!

Have you had any luck with websites yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise89)
    I feel exactly the same, I don't really want a black hole on my cv especially as it was my decision to take this bloody gap year! I'm so sick of England already.

No not really, I think i naively thought that I would find some volunteer organisation but all of them are either really expensive or unethical and I don't know which ones to trust.

Europe would be good, especially as it's safe and interrailing looks really fun.
    I'm half thinking about booking a flight to New Zealand and hopefully meet with some fellow backpackers to tag along with and travel with them...but I;m scared I'll just end up alone!

Have you had any luck with websites yet?
    Me too. My hometown is starting to feel like a prison and I don't want a wasted year weighing down on me like lead for the rest of my life.

I've searched through so many volunteer/work abroad sites and have encountered the same issues as you. I'm yet to find one I find truly reliable or that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (those hidden fees are a killer!). So I've lost quite a bit of faith.

Yeah, the interail looks great and definitely seems like a must-do for going round Europe.

Mmm, that element of risk is so daunting. Especially when you're so far from home. I think someday I'd definitely go it alone, but for my first independent trip abroad I'd definitely want some someone there or to go with.

ReputationRep:
    travbuddy.com

ReputationRep:
    I love Coach Trip

Just thought I'd share that.

ReputationRep:
    where do you want to go

I must warn you, I am pretty ugly/boring

ReputationRep:
    Go by yourself! it's amazing, the best way to travel. especially if it's your first time.

ReputationRep:
    i'll come!

ReputationRep:
    expect to get pedos

ReputationRep:
    The planet is full of other people.

Don't worry about finding them before you even set off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    i'll come!
    you're not invited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    where do you want to go

I must warn you, I am pretty ugly/boring
    Oh no, don't be so negative! Anywhere really, though I'm thinking Europe to start.

(Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    i'll come!
    Hi! Are you on a gap year?

(Original post by ilyking)
    expect to get pedos
    I'm armed and prepared.

ReputationRep:
    Just go on your own, I went to Asia last summer on my own and done a ski season last year on my own. Honestly its the best decision I ever made, yeah it's daunting when you first set off but you soon meet people (and i'm not just saying that),, literally when I first flew into Bangkok I was standing in the airport waiting for my backpack and another group of backpacker's were waiting there to, we got talking to each other then they invited me to stay with them at their hostel and I ended up spending 3 weeks with them, just be chilled out, happy and friendly to people and you soon make travel buddy's. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone else saying go on your own - you meet more people and have more fun that way. And how would meeting a stranger in the UK before you go be much less daunting than meeting someone while you're abroad anyway? Plus, you will find British people in any vaguely popular location so if it's a cultural thing, you can just meet them out there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    I'm planning on travelling after uni, either on my own or with some friends (if they want to come)

I was recommended to look at lonelyplanet.com hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.