Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a new camera for Christmas, with around £350 to spend. I have been looking at a new Canon 1000d and a second hand 450d on Ebay. Is there any concerns with buying a camera from used amazon or Ebay, as my dad (the one who's providing the finance!) seems to have worries about this, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've bought loads of photographic equipment from eBay with no problems. Just check their feedback and pay by Paypal.

Haven't bought any used cameras/lenses from Amazon, but I've bought loads of books from them with no problems - again just check the seller's feedback.

Have you got Canon fit lenses already? Have you considered getting a 20D/30D which are very good? If I had about £350 to play with I'd buy:
    This body
    This lens

Coming in for under £300! Bargain!

ReputationRep:
    A secondhand DSLR should be fine, as long as its in good condition and works properly.

I prefer to buy from Amazon these day, I've have problems with Paypal and Ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've bought loads of photographic equipment from eBay with no problems. Just check their feedback and pay by Paypal.

Haven't bought any used cameras/lenses from Amazon, but I've bought loads of books from them with no problems - again just check the seller's feedback.

Have you got Canon fit lenses already? Have you considered getting a 20D/30D which are very good? If I had about £350 to play with I'd buy:
    This body
    This lens

Coming in for under £300! Bargain!
    Thanks for your advice, Ive ordered a brand new 1000d + 18-55mm off ebay for £290, a bargain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thorpedp)
    Thanks for your advice, Ive ordered a brand new 1000d + 18-55mm off ebay for £290, a bargain!
    Ah well done, gotta love eBay for its bargains. Get flickr and share your best photos!

ReputationRep:
    it's such a good idea to buy camera bodies second hand, as they get updated more than the lenses.
    lenses last practically forever (unless the company change the mount D: )
    Camera bodies only a few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    it's such a good idea to buy camera bodies second hand, as they get updated more than the lenses.
    lenses last practically forever (unless the company change the mount D: )
    Camera bodies only a few years.
    Yeah, well this is my second camera upgrading for an IXUS 75, so we'll see how much I get into photography! Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Ah well done, gotta love eBay for its bargains. Get flickr and share your best photos!
    Aye, just picked a Nikon F5 up for £135!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Aye, just picked a Nikon F5 up for £135!
    nice!
    i have a fairly cheap Nikon FG-20.
    I've just received my b&w 35mm film, i'm so excited to use it.
    i've been looking into getting an F5 though, might pick one up once i save up some more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thorpedp)
    Not bad. I'd still keep an eye out for that 50mm f1.8 if you still have the £60 left over. I got my 500d with the 18-55mm in in October and the 50mm F1.8 II is supposed to be superior optical quality and better to learn with. It's also dead cheap and small. Not having zoom sounds like a massive compromise but honestly I've shot almost all of my pics at 55mm or 35mm so far so I doubt it'll be too much of an issue.
    Let's hope Santa's listening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    Not bad. I'd still keep an eye out for that 50mm f1.8 if you still have the £60 left over. I got my 500d with the 18-55mm in in October and the 50mm F1.8 II is supposed to be superior optical quality and better to learn with. It's also dead cheap and small. Not having zoom sounds like a massive compromise but honestly I've shot almost all of my pics at 55mm or 35mm so far so I doubt it'll be too much of an issue.
    Let's hope Santa's listening
    I'd second that, but if the 18-55mm is the IS version it's apparently much better.

ReputationRep:
    I'd second that, but if the 18-55mm is the IS version it's apparently much better.
    Yeh, i have the IS version and it's not bad as a general purpose lens, but it's not very fast even at 18mm and I'd quite like to try a prime.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be upgrading in May to some better lenses anyway, depends how deeply interested in photography I guess really. Hard to judge only having had a compact

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.