Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just doing a spot of research. How competitive is accountancy? Are we talking 1 place 60 applicants, or more like 1 place 5 applicants? I mean for the big 4, and perhaps the higher end of the middle tier.

ReputationRep:
    Big 4 grad schemes are very competitive! I'm not sure of exact ratios. Obviously, mid tier are loss popular but still highly competitive!

ReputationRep:
    I have been to regional firms with 50 applicants per place, big4 can be higher especially in London

ReputationRep:
    ****. That's on a par with IB..

ReputationRep:
    I had the impression that the Big 4 grad schemes weren't 'competitive' as such. From my experience so far it seems that you only need to meet their requirements to be offered a job, you're not directly competing against someone else. Once they've filled the spaces, thats it though.

Of course, their requirements are pretty high to separate the best from the rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MD.)
    I had the impression that the Big 4 grad schemes weren't 'competitive' as such. From my experience so far it seems that you only need to meet their requirements to be offered a job, you're not directly competing against someone else. Once they've filled the spaces, thats it though.

Of course, their requirements are pretty high to separate the best from the rest!
    It's definitely not a case of meeting the requirements and being offered a job. You have numeric & vocal tests, followed by a team assessment centre, an e-tray exercise and a partner interview.

ReputationRep:
    You'll hear the investment banking snobs saying how easy it is to get in but from personal experience i can tell you this isnt the case! In the past simply meeting the requirements and you were 80% there but now you have to be confident in interviews, group excercises etc and its true the quality of big4 employees v IB is not as good, but banking isnt for everyone.

If you want to work in finance but not necessarily audit look at industry finance schemes, GE FMP etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    It's definitely not a case of meeting the requirements and being offered a job. You have numeric & vocal tests, followed by a team assessment centre, an e-tray exercise and a partner interview.
    Sorry, reading back I didn't phrase it very well. They are basically scoring you on each of those things, and if you reach a certain level then you reach the next assessment stage/get offered a job. You aren't directly competing against other people, that's why they have no fixed deadline.

ReputationRep:
    If you've already decided on a career in accountancy then why not consider the EY Degree?

The Ernst & Young Degree combines the best of student life with challenging and practical opportunities in the workplace, helping you to move onto a career that uses your distinctive abilities to the full. The degree in Accounting, Auditing and Finance is available in partnership with Lancaster University Management School (LUMS), a world-ranked international management school, and The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS), the world’s first professional body of accountants.
    As well as earning an internationally recognised BSc Honours qualification, you will complete 18 months of paid work experience and potential exemptions from a number of ICAS exams. And if you get a 2.1, pass your professional exams and excel during your work placements, you will receive a graduate job offer from one of the most prestigious professional services firms in the world – something that in the current economic climate is becoming increasingly harder for today’s graduates.
    We are looking for students with a diverse range of personal and academic skills; qualities we can help them build on. Students with enthusiasm, ambition and energy, who are excited by business and want to achieve their personal and professional potential. If this sounds like you, and you have the academic results to back it up (A/AS levels: AAA), we would love to hear from you. Find out more about the Ernst & Young Degree, download our latest brochure or be put in touch with a current degree student, on our website: www.ey.com/uk/eyfasttracks .
    If you have any questions please add them to the thread or private message me through the EY Q&A on the homepage!
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernst & Young)
    If you've already decided on a career in accountancy then why not consider the EY Degree?

The Ernst & Young Degree combines the best of student life with challenging and practical opportunities in the workplace, helping you to move onto a career that uses your distinctive abilities to the full. The degree in Accounting, Auditing and Finance is available in partnership with Lancaster University Management School (LUMS), a world-ranked international management school, and The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS), the world’s first professional body of accountants.
    As well as earning an internationally recognised BSc Honours qualification, you will complete 18 months of paid work experience and potential exemptions from a number of ICAS exams. And if you get a 2.1, pass your professional exams and excel during your work placements, you will receive a graduate job offer from one of the most prestigious professional services firms in the world – something that in the current economic climate is becoming increasingly harder for today’s graduates.
    We are looking for students with a diverse range of personal and academic skills; qualities we can help them build on. Students with enthusiasm, ambition and energy, who are excited by business and want to achieve their personal and professional potential. If this sounds like you, and you have the academic results to back it up (A/AS levels: AAA), we would love to hear from you. Find out more about the Ernst & Young Degree, download our latest brochure or be put in touch with a current degree student, on our website: www.ey.com/uk/eyfasttracks .
    If you have any questions please add them to the thread or private message me through the EY Q&A on the homepage!
    Steve
    You haven't replied to my PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MD.)

and what is your experience so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    and what is your experience so far?
    I've got an assessment centre coming up next week and interview at the start of next year. I've been told that I'm the only person attending my AC, so I'm really only competing against myself. For the first round interview, they effectively told me there and then that I should be through to the AC. Admittedly, this is at a regional office and not in London, where I know you will definitely not be doing solo ACs! I'd still imagine that each person is scored is scored individually, rather than against each other.

I'm not trying to say that its easy to get in. I didn't really word my first post well. They're still looking for you to be excellent in each category, I just don't think the employers are going in to a group of interviews or an AC and are saying 'half of these aren't through, even if they are all amazing'. I think thats why they have no fixed application deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Big Four's have received around 8000 applications each so far for the 2011 intake. Recruiting around 1000 graduates each with loads of places left.

Last year was a lot more competitive, not saying this year isn't competitive. 8000 applications are a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Though hard to get in, I don't think they are that competitive as people think,

If you apply early and they like you and get through the stages you will get the job. Where as if you applied late, and they liked you, they might not have any room. Since its an open application deadline, and everyones application are not considered against everyone elses directly, its hard to judge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.