Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of going to Thailand for the new year and just want to know which tourist resorts to go to. Some people have told me Bangkok and Pattaya are pretty decent for tourists. I want to know what the beaches, bars, clubs and general night life is like for those who have visited. Is there anything I should be careful about? Crime etc.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    For beaches go to the islands, they are amazing, look out for the full moon party if you go to koh pagnan its awesome. Bangkok pattaya and chiang mai will keep you busy plenty of tourist activities and stuff going on there. Pretty good night life in most of the major tourist spots, although the quiet diver areas like krabi are dead. Crime wise, dont piss off a tuk tuk driver and be veeery careful if your tempted to do weed while your away, police are sh*t hot on it over there

ReputationRep:
    What's the full moon party?

ReputationRep:
    A big beachuv party where up to 20000 people attend every full moon! Google it

ReputationRep:
    I've told to careful of Katoey's whilst in places like Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. What do they actually do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonski)
    be veeery careful if your tempted to do weed while your away, police are sh*t hot on it over there
    Good advice this. Someone I know ended up in prison for buying weed. If you do, just be mindful who you're buying it from.

I'm heading south from Bangkok. Getting the train down and seeking out the islands. You might want to check out Pattaya online to find out if it's somewhere you'd like. I think it's a bit Marmite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils18)
    I've told to careful of Katoey's whilst in places like Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. What do they actually do?
    Yeh well I thought it was pretty obvious to keep away from those, but Im sure they'll do anything you want them to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerBay)
    Someone I know ended up in prison for buying weed. If you do, just be mindful who you're buying it from.
    Dont buy it off tuk tuk drivers or anyone that just randomly offers you it, if your gonna do it, get it from behind a bar lol

ReputationRep:
    Careful by the beaches, just have fun and avoid trouble since the mafia presence is nuts (you almost definitely wont encounter it but spoke to a few people in the north who'd had some shocking experiences) and loads of scams, especially with prostitutes and gems/suits - also if any tourist information office tries to sell you a holiday there, don't buy it, it's illegal and they might mug you (they fake government IDs to make sales).

Bangkok is great in Kaosan Road but the rest is rough and don't take tuktuks without arranging a price before hand. Also, only use green and yellow taxis with a meter.

Have a great time anyway, what people are saying about weed is right as well, just get drunk there instead.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh should mention as well be careful if you get a jetski they often give you a slightly broken one then make you pay huge amounts to repair it

ReputationRep:
    For beaches go to the islands, they are amazing, look out for the full moon party if you go to koh pagnan its awesome. Bangkok pattaya and chiang mai will keep you busy plenty of tourist activities and stuff going on there. Pretty good night life in most of the major tourist spots, although the quiet diver areas like krabi are dead. Crime wise, dont piss off a tuk tuk driver and be veeery careful if your tempted to do weed while your away, police are sh*t hot on it over there
    Take it you've been to thailand
    me and my sister want to go there next august durning summer holidays for like 3 weeks. Was wondering how much it cost you?
    flights at the moment stand at £650+, but think we gonna do last min since it's off peak season.
    As for hostels....any one in particular you loved? going over the FM party 15/16th so which island would be best? long time away but never too early to get excited. Im just in my student loan overdraft so need to plan money out haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    Take it you've been to thailand
    me and my sister want to go there next august durning summer holidays for like 3 weeks. Was wondering how much it cost you?
    flights at the moment stand at £650+, but think we gonna do last min since it's off peak season.
    As for hostels....any one in particular you loved? going over the FM party 15/16th so which island would be best? long time away but never too early to get excited. Im just in my student loan overdraft so need to plan money out haha
    I went to Hong Kong first then got a cheap flight over to thailand but other people managed to get flights from the UK for about £500 I think, maybe less (we went in june). Spending wise, I was there for a month an spent £1800, but its easily possible to live off £30 a day if you dont hammer it. If your going with your sister I wouldn't really recommend hostels, private rooms are usually cheaper for 2 people than hostels

Aw im jealous talking about the fmp tho id love to go to another one. It happens in koh pagnan so i'd recommend staying there over koh samui, but it can be expensive, id recommend gettin there 3/4 days early as it will be a lot cheaper and the warm up parties are often better than the fmp

ReputationRep:
    Steer clear of the ladyboys. You'll know they're ladyboys by whether or not they have testicles.

ReputationRep:
    If you can, go to Ko Samui, it's a little island which is absolutely beautiful! Be careful when out drinking etc, the Thai police are really harsh on tourists and don't approve of drunk and excessively loud individuals wandering the streets singing! Lol, I must have seen 20 odd people arrested for it on New Year's a few years back! Obviously don't do drugs....they will just throw you in prison and their pretty awful

ReputationRep:
    I went to Hong Kong first then got a cheap flight over to thailand but other people managed to get flights from the UK for about £500 I think, maybe less (we went in june). Spending wise, I was there for a month an spent £1800, but its easily possible to live off £30 a day if you dont hammer it. If your going with your sister I wouldn't really recommend hostels, private rooms are usually cheaper for 2 people than hostels

Aw im jealous talking about the fmp tho id love to go to another one. It happens in koh pagnan so i'd recommend staying there over koh samui, but it can be expensive, id recommend gettin there 3/4 days early as it will be a lot cheaper and the warm up parties are often better than the fmp
    I travelled western USA this summer, and was staying in hostels - and mega loved the banter, great way to meet ppl, that what I thought. I was paying $20-$25 a night there. Cant wait to get back ona plane, Im addicted to travelling was it hot in june? did you manage to get a tan?? coz gettign a tna would be a bonus haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I travelled western USA this summer, and was staying in hostels - and mega loved the banter, great way to meet ppl, that what I thought. I was paying $20-$25 a night there. Cant wait to get back ona plane, Im addicted to travelling was it hot in june? did you manage to get a tan?? coz gettign a tna would be a bonus haha
    ooooh really? Im going new york in 2 weeks then travelling across america, so I guess it's my turn to ask for any advice now :P, I know what you mean like all ive done since I got back from thailand was wish I could go away again lol. Yeh hostels are a good way to meet other people but the backpacker route is really small in thailand so it's easy enough to meet people regardless of where you stay, plus the private huts we stayed in are usually surrounded by other huts so people tend to just wander over and chat . Its hot in june yeh you will get a tan, but it's rainy season so the odd day may be overcast or it will chuck it down for an hour or so at night then it'll be fine again

ReputationRep:
    Give Thailand a miss and head for Malaysia/S'Pore.

The Thais are basically agricultural simpletons who have turned the south of the country in to a westernised brothel. Very little of any cultural/culinary or intellectual significance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Steer clear of the ladyboys. You'll know they're ladyboys by whether or not they have testicles.
    You know that Big Chief!

ReputationRep:
    ooooh really? Im going new york in 2 weeks then travelling across america, so I guess it's my turn to ask for any advice now :P, I know what you mean like all ive done since I got back from thailand was wish I could go away again lol. Yeh hostels are a good way to meet other people but the backpacker route is really small in thailand so it's easy enough to meet people regardless of where you stay, plus the private huts we stayed in are usually surrounded by other huts so people tend to just wander over and chat . Its hot in june yeh you will get a tan, but it's rainy season so the odd day may be overcast or it will chuck it down for an hour or so at night then it'll be fine again
    a cool cool, im going home tonight from uni so will be chattign with my sister about our plans
    Well I didnt go to NY, but if you do go to the West coast it is pretty amazing, though maby not that hot now. Well Vegas will be. My fave bits was the grand canyon its like 100x better than what you can imagine, cycling over the golden gate in san franciso, the zoo in san diego, yosemite national park, with the HIGE trees, waterfalls and cute squirells. haha. For advice, I was a 19 year old girl travelling alone......was pretty safe. Obv did get a few "if u look at me again ill stab you" "why is there white ppl on my bus?" "you wannabe sluts" and lots and lots of homeless. One massiv advice, keep a diary best thign I did, read it y'day, and just LOLed at quotes and stuff ;D

ReputationRep:
    I just sorta skimmed the posts, but from my experience in Thailand and what people told me, Pattaya in particular is a haven for sex tourists.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.