Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've noticed a lot of around TSR recently (and when I say recently, I probably mean in all the time I've been here) and it has finally wound me up enough to make a thread about it. There are people who come along, say what they think, get shouted down and maybe (D:!) even negged, and go off and whine about elitism on TSR. They moan that TSR is full of people who think they know everything and who think that anyone who disagrees with them is stupid. They don't, however, seem to realise that actually, TSR users are simply doing what they should be doing. Perhaps it would be nicer for everyone if we got into a politics debate and people said things like "I believe in the graduate tax, but maybe I'm right, maybe I'm not, I'll only disagree with your alternative a little bit". Unfortunately, that's a pathetic attitude. Nobody wins a debate saying things like that. Ever.

The fact is, debate is agressive. Debates are won by stating your side as if it is the truth, not by being pathetic. Indeed, I am actually wondering to myself as I type this, what would you rather people on TSR said? You complain that they go down the "No, you're wrong" route, but if they instead elected for "Maybe you're right then wouldn't that elude the point of them formulating an argument in the first place? Basically, when you complain about people on TSR thinking they know everything, it's like a football player complaining that someone tackled him when they could have just come up and asked nicely if they could have the ball.

Finally, there is the continual complaint that TSR users think that anyone who disagrees with them is stupid. Basically, this is just wrong. You can find any number of threads in which people have disagreed, even disagreed agressively, but still managed to respect each other's intelligence. The inevitable question, then, is what is it about you personally that makes them think you are stupid?

ReputationRep:
    In a debate, any point made should be followed by "In my opinion, I mean, and I'm probably totally wrong." That is the correct etiquette.

It's an internet forum. I guess with the benefit of anonymity there's no reason for sensible debate and respect, for appreciating that a difference of opinion is not necessarily a personal attack.

It's sad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.