Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Can I ask if anyone here has a sound knowledge on sleep, or even if you don't all advice is appreciated really.

I was just having a think and now have this question - would a sleep pattern with the same amount of sleep every time but with different go to sleep and wake up times every day make for a good sleep routine? No major changes each time, literally a half hour of a difference every night.

e.g. Monday going to sleep at 10pm and getting up at 7am the following morning, but then Tuesday going to sleep at 10:30pm and getting up at 7:30am? Wednesday 11pm-7am and so on...

The reason I'd like to try this out is because I'm thinking if you get into a set routine where you go to sleep and wake up at exactly the time every day, the second you have to step out of this pattern you could end up feeling like total crap..

Hope some of the above makes sense! Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have the amount of sleep that your body requires each night, you shouldn't feel tired.
    A change of half an hour in the time that you go to sleep shouldn't make any major difference to how rested you feel, provided you still get the right amount of sleep in total.
    Bear in mind there are other things that affect how rested you feel, such as how often you wake up in the night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    As long as you have the amount of sleep that your body requires each night, you shouldn't feel tired.
    A change of half an hour in the time that you go to sleep shouldn't make any major difference to how rested you feel, provided you still get the right amount of sleep in total.
    Bear in mind there are other things that affect how rested you feel, such as how often you wake up in the night.
    Thanks very much for reading through all that and replying Captain

Really I'm quite lucky when I don't opt to have lie ins - I hardly ever wake up in the night. Hopefully this can continue, but I know I am lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Thanks very much for reading through all that and replying Captain

Really I'm quite lucky when I don't opt to have lie ins - I hardly ever wake up in the night. Hopefully this can continue, but I know I am lucky!
    No worries
    And yeah, very lucky
    Only reason I know anything about sleep is because of sporadic insomnia lol

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Can I ask if anyone here has a sound knowledge on sleep, or even if you don't all advice is appreciated really.

I was just having a think and now have this question - would a sleep pattern with the same amount of sleep every time but with different go to sleep and wake up times every day make for a good sleep routine? No major changes each time, literally a half hour of a difference every night.

e.g. Monday going to sleep at 10pm and getting up at 7am the following morning, but then Tuesday going to sleep at 10:30pm and getting up at 7:30am? Wednesday 11pm-7am and so on...

The reason I'd like to try this out is because I'm thinking if you get into a set routine where you go to sleep and wake up at exactly the time every day, the second you have to step out of this pattern you could end up feeling like total crap..

Hope some of the above makes sense! Thanks for reading
    Personally I don't find that it exactly works whereby if you go to bed an hour later and just get up an hour later it evens out. If for example I go to bed at 10pm and get up at 8am I would probably feel fine. That's 10 hours of sleep. But if I were to go to sleep at 2am (sometimes do) then waking up at midday I would probably still feel tired.

But since you're only talking half an hour or so either side then it shouldn't make a difference. It is something that works differently for different people though, because my friend can stay up on his Xbox until 3am and get up at 8am for school, but at weekends he can barely survive if he doesn't get about 12 hours sleep lol.

ReputationRep:
    or you could not have a routine whatsoever and be preprepared for when you fall out of a routine and not feel like absolute crap.

ReputationRep:
    No worries
    And yeah, very lucky
    Only reason I know anything about sleep is because of sporadic insomnia lol
    Aw, sorry to hear that How does that come on, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    Personally I don't find that it exactly works whereby if you go to bed an hour later and just get up an hour later it evens out. If for example I go to bed at 10pm and get up at 8am I would probably feel fine. That's 10 hours of sleep. But if I were to go to sleep at 2am (sometimes do) then waking up at midday I would probably still feel tired.

But since you're only talking half an hour or so either side then it shouldn't make a difference. It is something that works differently for different people though, because my friend can stay up on his Xbox until 3am and get up at 8am for school, but at weekends he can barely survive if he doesn't get about 12 hours sleep lol.
    Thanks for the insight much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    or you could not have a routine whatsoever and be preprepared for when you fall out of a routine and not feel like absolute crap.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    i go to sleep whenever i can catch up on any and now that i'm used to it i feel absolutely fine and i have no problems with keeping a routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    i go to sleep whenever i can catch up on any and now that i'm used to it i feel absolutely fine and i have no problems with keeping a routine.
    Even luckier than me then I'm really silly tbh; I read up on things too much and as a result can be slightly ott on important stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, sorry to hear that How does that come on, if you don't mind me asking?
    I just have a strange sleep pattern.
    Some days I'll sleep 2 hours and feel like I've had 8, others I'll sleep for 20 and feel like I've had none.
    Not the most fun thing in the world. lol

ReputationRep:
    Not completely dissimilar to me! I've only had 2 hours sleep about twice in my life, but my sleep pattern is all over the place and has been for a while. I mostly sleep much longer than I should be, and more often than not feel far more tired that I would have done with more sleep! I have a feeling it's something I can snap out of easily - getting up at a better hour is the obstacle! Have you tried a few weeks of getting up around the same time and going to bed the same? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious..

I just have a strange sleep pattern.
    Some days I'll sleep 2 hours and feel like I've had 8, others I'll sleep for 20 and feel like I've had none.
    Not the most fun thing in the world. lol

ReputationRep:
    Not completely dissimilar to me! I've only had 2 hours sleep about twice in my life, but my sleep pattern is all over the place and has been for a while. I mostly sleep much longer than I should be, and more often than not feel far more tired that I would have done with more sleep! I have a feeling it's something I can snap out of easily - getting up at a better hour is the obstacle! Have you tried a few weeks of getting up around the same time and going to bed the same? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious..
    You will feel tired if you sleep for longer than your body needs. Called getting 'overtired'. S'also one of the reasons why I rarely feel fully rested, because I always feel like I'm trying to play catch up, and therefore oversleep when I can.
    Not the best idea, but when I'm that tired the only thing I am capable of it sleeping

ReputationRep:
    You will feel tired if you sleep for longer than your body needs. Called getting 'overtired'. S'also one of the reasons why I rarely feel fully rested, because I always feel like I'm trying to play catch up, and therefore oversleep when I can.
    Not the best idea, but when I'm that tired the only thing I am capable of it sleeping
    Ha that's funny for me because my best sleeps have only consisted of 5 hours:eek: But the 'experts' say long term this is not so good so I aim for around 7. Of course I have far more and am as you say overtired! Oh wells.

Aw come on. Time to get this back in check Why don't you try going to bed early tonight and get up early in the morning, then see how tomorrow goes when you should be nice and tired from probably not getting a great sleep tonight...but it would surely be worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Ha that's funny for me because my best sleeps have only consisted of 5 hours:eek: But the 'experts' say long term this is not so good so I aim for around 7. Of course I have far more and am as you say overtired! Oh wells.

Aw come on. Time to get this back in check Why don't you try going to bed early tonight and get up early in the morning, then see how tomorrow goes when you should be nice and tired from probably not getting a great sleep tonight...but it would surely be worth it?
    Yeah I need to try and get my cycle back lol. I'm meant to be up @ 6 every day so it shouldn't be too hard to get back in check

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I need to try and get my cycle back lol. I'm meant to be up @ 6 every day so it shouldn't be too hard to get back in check
    Ahh well how about 10pm to start off with? The internet is my big distraction...I just get talking to people...lol

ReputationRep:
    Ahh well how about 10pm to start off with? The internet is my big distraction...I just get talking to people...lol
    Yeah 10-11 is usually my chosen time to try to go sleep. I get distracted by music lol. Get a song stuck in my head and then I just have to listen to it... Doesn't help that it's usually drum n bass either I guess

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 10-11 is usually my chosen time to try to go sleep. I get distracted by music lol. Get a song stuck in my head and then I just have to listen to it... Doesn't help that it's usually drum n bass either I guess
    I wish you well..I must come over as if I'm lecturing sorry

ReputationRep:
    I wish you well..I must come over as if I'm lecturing sorry
    Nah not at all,
    And cheers, you too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.