Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was curious, I'm not 100% Medicine is for me, I'm thinking of studying Pharmacy, and maybe living at home for 4 years and getting some maturity, then perhaps progressing as a Graduate onto Medicine or Dentistry.

I therefore am trying to figure out what is the situation with regards providing this information on my Ucas form. I don't want in 4 years time, for Medical schools to frown upon me for not being committed etc. So I was thinking of not puttin that down on my current UCAS form.

Does anyone have any expert knowledge in this area or know what I should do?

Thoughts greatly appreciated.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Have you approached the pastoral team at your university? They should be able to offer you some guidance and it really seems like you could do with some support.

Are you giving yourself the best chance of doing well in medicine if you focus on jumping ship? It just seems like you wanted to leave before you even got there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECullen)
    I don't want in 4 years time, for Medical schools to frown upon me for not being committed etc.
    x
    I think this would be a real issue.

As Sarky said, talk to your Dean for students.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I was talking to them, they aren't that great of help, I was told to come back after christmas to see if I'm more settled. But they don't understand that will be too late..Hmm.. I don't know what to do. :/

ReputationRep:
    TBH i read about that thread you made a few months ago before starting medical school where you said you had doubts about keele. Why did you decide to enrol on the course then when it was clear to so many that your heart and head were in 2 different places? Not only have you put your own future in jeopardy, more importantly you took a place from someone who really would have wanted to study at keele or someone who had missed their grades for keele by a mark or 2. I agree with digitalis, the medical schools won't look favourably on your app in the future because you have left a medical course in the past - in fact it would probably be near impossible given the research i have had to do myself into stuff about transfers. Don't take this decision lightly because you need to realise that just because you succeeded in getting in 1 year, you may never get any offers again either, with the competition as it is. If I was you I would make a decision at the end of the year - to be honest 3 months into a course that you tried so hard to get into is not enough time to make such a huge decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECullen)
    Hey

I was curious, I'm not 100% Medicine is for me, I'm thinking of studying Pharmacy, and maybe living at home for 4 years and getting some maturity, then perhaps progressing as a Graduate onto Medicine or Dentistry.

I therefore am trying to figure out what is the situation with regards providing this information on my Ucas form. I don't want in 4 years time, for Medical schools to frown upon me for not being committed etc. So I was thinking of not puttin that down on my current UCAS form.

Does anyone have any expert knowledge in this area or know what I should do?

Thoughts greatly appreciated.
    x
    Also, if you omit information from your UCAS form it will consitute dishonesty and lying and neither medical or pharmacy schools will tolerate this under the fitness to practice procedures. If you omit this you will get found out because of the way the ucas database works and how exactly are you going to get a reference. Pharmacy in particular have recently just had a mjor change as the GPhC has become their new regulatory body and is very very strict - they've now implented code of conduct for pharm students which wasn't in place previously and are shaking up the profession - i.e you have to do your degree and do prereg within 8 yrs i think.

ReputationRep:
    Are you 100 percent sure? 8 years?
    How about living through this year and if your uni allows intercalation, why not go for that? It'll give you time to think through !
    I'd say give it a few more months. First year can be a bit overwhelming - academic wise and the entire study system... it is a drastic change. In the mean time talk to the Dean and apply. You can then decide when the offers come in Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    TBH i read about that thread you made a few months ago before starting medical school where you said you had doubts about keele. Why did you decide to enrol on the course then when it was clear to so many that your heart and head were in 2 different places? Not only have you put your own future in jeopardy, more importantly you took a place from someone who really would have wanted to study at keele or someone who had missed their grades for keele by a mark or 2. I agree with digitalis, the medical schools won't look favourably on your app in the future because you have left a medical course in the past - in fact it would probably be near impossible given the research i have had to do myself into stuff about transfers. Don't take this decision lightly because you need to realise that just because you succeeded in getting in 1 year, you may never get any offers again either, with the competition as it is. If I was you I would make a decision at the end of the year - to be honest 3 months into a course that you tried so hard to get into is not enough time to make such a huge decision.
    i actually agree with this. i too read that thread and tbh you should just go back to ireland and do pharmacy or something else. if you really wanted to study medicine you would not mind what school you're at. from that thread you made before, your reason for not wanting to go to keele was because it was too far from home. i started med at UCL in 2009, part of me knew that london was going to be too much for me and my family to cope with. i've now got an offer from my local uni for medicine if i pass year 2 of ucl - it would have saved me soo much stress and time, money if i had thought things through properly before.

if you quit keele you probably won't get into medicine again but if you stay your problems ill only get deeper as the course progresses if you don't sort your mental attitude out now. also, so what if you know 9 people who have left medical school now - in a few years time i guarantee that if they all reapply most probably won't get in. if you think this is not fact, contact the medical schools admissions directly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.