Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you please help me. I need to know what the ethical and pratical advantages and disadvantages are of participant observation.

Please help.....

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. Advantages:
    First hand data
    Observations produce qualitative data which helps you gain verstehen (empathetic understanding) - favoured by anti-positivits
    It's ethically acceptable (unlike covert observation) - researcher can be open about what they do and why
    It's easier than covert observation, as it's easier to note things down, record conversations etc. whereas during covert observations researcher has to rely on memory

Disadvantages:
    Observational bias (when observing, you see only what you want to see)
    Time and expense of the research
    Not reliable (cannot be successfuly repeated)
    Data may be misinterpreted by the researcher (e.g. have to decide which observations are significant and which aren't)
    Hawthorne effect - when observed participants, who are aware of the presence of the researcher act in a certain way to give the researcher only the results they want to give)

Hope I helped =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.