Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer to do Politics at Leeds, which I was going to firm, but Leeds is like number 44 on the guardian league table for politics, below nottingham trent which (no offence to anybody) isn't exactly the most prestigious of universities is it? do these league tables really mean anything though? I love Leeds but I don't want to go there if employers won't think much of a degree from there or if the teaching for politics isn't good.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is underrated on league tables for Politics. The RAE which assesses the research has quite specific criteria for Politics, and it's not interested in the type of stuff in which Leeds is strong (eg UK politics, elections, the electoral process). However if you are interested in getting into working in politics in the UK, ie for lobby groups, parliamentary assistant, working for a party, or becoming an MP/councillor etc then Leeds is very well connected in the political scene, some of the top unis for politics run very good theoretical courses which are good if you want to be an academic or researcher but (IMO) they aren't as good as Leeds for preparing you for a career in politics. I would not worry about Leeds reputation for politics because if you want to go into the field there are Leeds grads all over the place. I had lots of friends who were on the Politics and Parliamentary Studies course at Leeds and they have all got good jobs, mainly as a result of networking they did on their placements.

The International Relations stuff is also good especially in the field of security studies, there are some very good tutors in that section, so for that and anything to do with being interested in British politics I can definitely recommend Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Leeds is underrated on league tables for Politics. The RAE which assesses the research has quite specific criteria for Politics, and it's not interested in the type of stuff in which Leeds is strong (eg UK politics, elections, the electoral process). However if you are interested in getting into working in politics in the UK, ie for lobby groups, parliamentary assistant, working for a party, or becoming an MP/councillor etc then Leeds is very well connected in the political scene, some of the top unis for politics run very good theoretical courses which are good if you want to be an academic or researcher but (IMO) they aren't as good as Leeds for preparing you for a career in politics. I would not worry about Leeds reputation for politics because if you want to go into the field there are Leeds grads all over the place. I had lots of friends who were on the Politics and Parliamentary Studies course at Leeds and they have all got good jobs, mainly as a result of networking they did on their placements.

The International Relations stuff is also good especially in the field of security studies, there are some very good tutors in that section, so for that and anything to do with being interested in British politics I can definitely recommend Leeds.
    Thank you, this was helpful, and I probably will firm it now. I'm going to the visit day in February anyway I'm sure after that I'll be more confident in my decision x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.