Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone in the military with food allergies/ intolerances where they had to be given diffrent ration packs?

I'm interested in joining either the RAF or the army but I have a dairy allergy. Both branches at the recuitment centres told me it's OK (although they didnt even ask me ANY questions about it) but surely it would be a struggle with the ration packs. Ive checked over the ingredients of various ones and they all contain meals which have milk as an ingredient.

My main concern would be getting in and then finding out out I can't eat much of what they have to offer and then having a serious struggle through basic, especially when they do field exercises and you have to live off rations for a few days.

Anybody know of anyone in the same boot or with similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I dont know- But being in the RAF, I can't say I know anyone with any allergy off the top of my head...

I mean as far as I know none of my colleagues have a nut allergy as far as I know. If the AFCO has said it's fine I wouldn't worry.

I just took this from a PDF file on the RAF careers website on medical conditions that preclude entry (which explains why I dont work with anyone with a nut allergy!):

Other conditions and diseases
    • All Congenital, chromosonal and genetic disorder
    • Severe allergic reactions and/or anaphylaxis
    • A need to carry adrenaline injections (EPIPEN, etc)
    • Nut and peanut allergy
    • Egg allergy
    • Latex allergy
    • Specific vaccine allergy (including tetanus allergy)
    • Gluten sensitivity (Coeliac disease), any confirmed food intolerance which results in symptoms when the preferred diet is unavailable

Doesn't mention dairy, so sounds ok??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben5560)
    any confirmed food intolerance which results in symptoms when the preferred diet is unavailable

Doesn't mention dairy, so sounds ok??
    Doesn't mention dairy, no, but the line I kept shows what matters.

OP, you'd have to get your allergy looked into by OASC and their medical staff. If it comes back that our alelrgies/intolerances in any way inhibit you then it's almost guaranteed you won't get in.

As mentioned in every other thread at the moment, the RAF can afford to be as picky as they want at the moment, so any sign of risk is enough to make them say no.

ReputationRep:
    That is true.

Might as well give it a shot, as Drewski said though they can be very picky - especially nowadays.

Just be prepared that they might say no for something that unfortunately is beyond your control.

But again, I don't know of anyone I work with that has any allergy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamdt)
    Is there anyone in the military with food allergies/ intolerances where they had to be given diffrent ration packs?

I'm interested in joining either the RAF or the army but I have a dairy allergy. Both branches at the recuitment centres told me it's OK (although they didnt even ask me ANY questions about it) but surely it would be a struggle with the ration packs. Ive checked over the ingredients of various ones and they all contain meals which have milk as an ingredient.

My main concern would be getting in and then finding out out I can't eat much of what they have to offer and then having a serious struggle through basic, especially when they do field exercises and you have to live off rations for a few days.

Anybody know of anyone in the same boot or with similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated
    I think you'd struggle to get into the Army, but it is worth a shot to see. As I have said on other medical question threads - when you apply, do not be tempted to hide or gloss over your intolerance.

If you are allowed to proceed onto basic training, you should be able to survive by swapping with your mates. I don't eat pork and before they introduced veggie and halal rations, I never had a problem swapping with other people. It helped that I found Corned Beef Hash strangely edible and most of the rest of the Army hates it!

ReputationRep:
    They do halal and vegetarian rat packs. I'm pretty sure they do vegan ones.... the newer ones don't appear to contain milk apart from the dumplings one and a few others and the puddings with custard and the chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    Nope i just got my letter back from department of occupational medicine. I'm cows milk protein intollerant and been told im permanently unfit for service. Going to appeal with help from my doctor, it not a problem my AFCO told me its fine so i see no problem other than on deployment but thats easily sorted if you dont like the food you dont eat it. And if they do vegan which is a choice how is dairy free and different when you have no choice in the matter.
    Rant over. X
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your AFCO are not medical experts. It is not fine to have a food allergy. People with food allergies are not allowed to serve and you are not the one to decide that it isn't a problem. If you are vegan by choice then you can eat other food without it making you ill. Also, I've never sen a vegan option served in barracks / on base before.

Every menu option is not available at every location all the time. The Forces also do not have the time or resources to cook those special meals nor look after you if you accidentally eat something This might sound harsh but food allergies and the Armed Forces do not mix, they never have done and they won't in the future. Sorry. Your appeal would be a complete waste of time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.