Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have a question . Its for C1 EDEXCEL

Im totally confused about asymtotes.

QUESTION 1 : Firstly what are they?

Secondly i dont get this example in the book

I get the sketch bit the part I dont know how to "state the equations of any asymptotes and intersections with the axes"

"The curve crosses the x-axis once. " "y = h(x) + 1 = 1/x + 1"

QUESTION 2: did they add the 1 because the curve crosses the x-axis once or is it because the graph has been translated +1 along the y-axis???

QUESTION 3: Can someone please explain the below three lines, how did they get theses values?:

" so the curve intersects the x-axis at (-1,0)."

"the horizontal asymptote is y=1"

"the vertical asymptote is x=0"

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)

Q1 Firstly what are they?

I get the sketch bit the part I dont know how to "state the equations of any asymptotes and intersections with the axes"

Q2) did they add the 1 because the curve crosses the x-axis once or is it because the graph has been translated +1 along the y-axis???

Q3) I dont get the whole bit, can someone please explain all three lines:

thanks
    an asymptote is a line which a curve bends towards but never reaches it.

in this case, y=0 and x=0 and solve

to find out where it crosses the x-axis, put y=0
    the y-axis: x=0 and solve

ReputationRep:

QUESTION 2: did they add the 1 because the curve crosses the x-axis once or is it because the graph has been translated +1 along the y-axis???

QUESTION 3: Can someone please explain the below three lines, how did they get theses values?:

thanks
    Hey got your message, happy to help.

Q1) An asymptote is a curve that never crosses the y or x axis's but gets closer and closer to them as the curve stretches to infinity.

Q2) The +1 is because they have now shifted the asymptote +1 in the Y direction. So the equation for the curve was y=1/x, now it is y=1/x +1

Q3) You can see from the diagram the curve crosses the x axis at one point. You know that if you make Y = 0 you can find the X co-ordinate where the curve
    crosses.

So the X co-ordinate is -1. We made the Y co-ordinate 0, so the total co-ordinate is (-1,0)

Now for the Horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Again lets look at the diagram. Look at the ends of the curve that seems to be stretching towards infinity. What line do they seem to be trying to get close too? If you draw the line they're trying to get to and read where is crosses the axis's then you'll find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

Reply if you need anymore help, i know i may have been a little confusing :p:

ReputationRep:

Asymptotes are lines where the graph never reaches. For example, in the function y = 1/x, when x = 0 then y is undefined (since 0 goes into 1 not even an infinite amount of times). The same applies for y = 0; there are no values of x which make y = 0. Usually, asymptotes feature in functions where dividing by zero is not allowed.

h(x) = 1/x, i.e. the function of x defined by h(x) equals one over x. The function changes the input x into 1/x. Adding 1 to the function, we change x into 1/x and then add 1 to the whole thing (this is a somewhat watered-down description of functions). Adding 1 translates it along the positve y-axis.

thanks
    The whole graph has moved up 1 in the positive y-axis direction. The point (-1,-1) now is at (-1,0) and intersects the x-axis; the asymptote originally at y = 0 has moved up to y = 1; the vertical asymptote at x = 0 remains unchanged by the translation.

ReputationRep:
    gozatron has basically explained what you need to know
    but make sure you practise more of these type of questions.

you should know what an asymptotes by now, it was in GCSE but anyways, if you dont understand anything, PM me or reply to this thread again and ill try and explain it

ReputationRep:
    Got your message, no point me repeating whats been said already though. Dunno what else to say except once you get the concept, just go through the exercises and practice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.