Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In the future will Universities interview more or less people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    With the increasing demand for places as more students complete their higher education, will Universities hold more interviews as more people apply and pass their minimum requirements?

They can raise their minimum requirements, but there's a point at which it simply becomes unreasonable as those with acceptable abilities are refused entry due to over demand for places.

Also, another point to consider would be the rise in tutition fees. Wouldn't this persuade more people to not carry on to University and thus reduce the number of interviews? To what extent will this affect the number of people going to Universities and will this be greater than the demand for places?

I'm not pushing my own views or ideas yet, but would first like to hear your opinions first.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question. I think interviews might well become more common, as could university entrance tests.

ReputationRep:
    I think that universities should conduct more interviews to see just how dedicated the student is to their subject. A family friend dropped out after a few weeks of studying Business as he didn’t realise that university wasn't all partying! Universities could improve their drop out rates by interviewing and could then give offers to students who, for example, although may not be predicted the required grades, really want to study.

I personally think it's nice for the student to be offered an interview as it shows that the university actually wants to get to know them. I've only been given applicant days with my offers from Leicester and Lincoln, and no contact whatsoever from Manchester (and that's my favourite!) yet! I just want the universities to want me for me - not just from what's written in my application...

ReputationRep:
    In the future interviews will take place in hologram form.

ReputationRep:
    In the future you will hand picked based on class.

ReputationRep:
    well i dont think they will want to increase invitations for interview, rather if applicants want to be taken seriously, and have put real effort into their applications, then sure they will interview.....

and due to the competition increaseing for places, i am assuming that more people will make sure their ucas application is really competative.

peace out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.