Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying to do classics at university in 2012, but past the set texts in my classical civilisations class and a random history I picked up in my local bookstore (The Classical World: An. epic History of Greece and Rome, Robin Lane Fox) I have no idea what would be a good idea to be reading to get more of an idea for the subject outside of the A level syllabus.

Any suggestions? ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Maybe check out a few university websites which have course outlines on, they often mention the books you'll study.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly Herodotus? or Suetonius? Of course then things like Virgil and Homer

ReputationRep:
    Homer and Virgil are amazing, but if you want something a bit shorter you could try some Greek plays.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get straight into reading some texts (unless you want a basic overview of the historical period, for which Lane-Fox should be fine, if not a little traditionalist in approach) -- after all, that's what you'll be doing on the course. Here are a few examples:

Herodotus, Thucydides, Plutarch, Livy, Suetonius, Tacitus for historians;
    Euripides, Sophocles, Aeschylus for Greek tragedy;
    Aristophanes, Menander, Plautus, Terrence for comedy;
    Plato, Aristotle, Cicero for philosophy;
    Virgil, Ovid, Hesiod for didactic poetry;

et cetera et cetera....

Obviously, you don't need to read every single text of note at this stage (in fact, most universities won't expect you to have read a great deal more than what you've studied in class); it's just a good idea to read around so that you can see what sparks your interest and what doesn't, allowing you to be better prepared when you start.

ReputationRep:
    The pokemon anual 2011

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.