Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hi, a lurker reveals himself....

back to point, i have been awarded financial support for this year. The problem is i wanted to register for a course that starts in february, s320, and the deadline for financial applications has passed. my question is i have reserved a place and the option of paying by financial support was no there(it said application were too late).

but having been awarded support, is it late for me to register for a course and pay by financial support that has been awarded in september?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You have to link your application for financial support to your preferred module before the deadline.

This applies irrespective of whether you have already been awarded the support.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yup I'm afraid this is correct. Might be worth ringing them up though and seeing if they can do anything for you?

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty shocked to read this yesterday as my position is as OP. I'm deciding between two courses and am already doing one. I have a full award already, and the deadlines for financial support have passed on both the new ones. I was assuming it was the registration deadline to watch as I already have an approved award.

So I phoned the OU earlier today. Nope. It's all fine. I'm sure the previous two posts were well intentioned, but the very helpful person at the OU said, because I have a full award, I just need to register before the registration deadline for the course itself. I have to do it by phone.

Definitely. I just spoke to them a few hours ago.

So, get on the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifemagic)
    I was pretty shocked to read this yesterday as my position is as OP. I'm deciding between two courses and am already doing one. I have a full award already, and the deadlines for financial support have passed on both the new ones. I was assuming it was the registration deadline to watch as I already have an approved award.

So I phoned the OU earlier today. Nope. It's all fine. I'm sure the previous two posts were well intentioned, but the very helpful person at the OU said, because I have a full award, I just need to register before the registration deadline for the course itself. I have to do it by phone.

Definitely. I just spoke to them a few hours ago.

So, get on the phone!
    This is not what they told me

If I'd have known I'd have changed one of my courses!!! Too late now.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I got bad information.

They told me it was OK the day I posted, and I could apply for my course before the 22nd December. So yesterday I phoned, with one day to spare (because I was trying to decide between two courses). And now they tell me what they told you. The courses must be linked to financial support before the financial support deadline.

I told her that this isn't what I was told, and that I'd posted the information online. She said do I have the name of the person who told me this. No, I don't. Then there's nothing she can do about it.

So she registered me and forwarded it to the financial support office to see if they would do anything about it and they might contact me.

That is infuriating. I've carefully planned all the courses to the named degree I hope for. The first year, I only did 30 points as a gentle introduction to study, so now I don't have enough funding years to do the degree I wanted. The future I daydream about depends on that qualification.

I'm an inch from just chucking it in (it's OK, I mean my study)

Someone at the OU gave me the wrong advice and it's going to force me to change my lifeplan, and there's nothing I can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    This is weird ...

Yesterday, the last day of registration for my course (the absolute last day for it all to be paid for, not the last day to link financial support, which has long since passed) I got an email saying that they've allocated my financial support to the new course. But there's a shortfall of a hundred pounds.

I logged in, and the course is there, with a link to continue registration by paying for the course. I clicked that, and the amount required is 100 Sterling. I paid it by credit card, and noted today that my account has been debited. I got a reference number, I presume for having registered.

So, I don't know exactly what is going on with the registration dates or what the policy is. It might be best just to say, if you are wanting to link financial support to a course, do so before the deadline for financial support arrives, EVEN WHEN THAT SUPPORT HAS ALREADY BEEN GRANTED.

However, if it's too late, then phone registrations and ask to register anyway and to have it forwarded to financial support.

Then cross your fingers. When I phoned to register, a message said that they were very busy due to limited staff and unforseen circumstances, I presume the snow. However, I am pretty chuffed as you can imagine.

Yeah! I LOVE OU!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.