Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    Can anyone provide me with information on more NON scientific psychology courses which are still highly reputable? I know they all come with their share of science, but I wouldn't want to follow it up and be an actual psychologist so it's not as important for me... I'd probably go into adveritising or something.
    I heard Goldsmiths course is less scientific than most?
    Thank you for any help
    x

By the way I'm predicted A* A A
    Psychology, English Lit, Art (in that order)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

What do you mean by 'non-scientific'? What aspects of standard psychology courses are you trying to get away from?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about UEA. Bit lower in league tables but it is amazing if you hate science. Ive nearlly finished 1st semster at UEA and not touvhed any science. Next semester that may change but we focus more on sociology than science. You do half and half psychology and sociology. Student support is really good too.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be a total ******** but if you definetely know you don't want to be a psychologist why are you going for psychology?

I think UWE are trying to change to be more 50/50 with quali/quant methods and teachings but with your predicted grades you probably want somewhere a bit better. I would be surprised if any of the unis that would correspond with your grades would be low on the 'science' aspects.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually say anything horrible, so I don't know why it has filtered it, please don't be offended!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imogen9286)
    NON scientific psychology courses which are still highly reputable
    wut

ReputationRep:
    Try BA courses in Psychology, rather than Bsc. But generally, Psychology is scientific. If you hate science, don't do psychology. Do marketing or advertising instead.

Disclaimer: Just to say in advance: I will personally slaughter the first idiot who goes LULZ WHY NOT TRY SOCIOLOGY.
    Sociology is not a non-scientific Psychology. It's a kind of non biological psychology, but you'll still get put through the tests of statistical significance, conceptual validity and logic, as far as science is concerned..

ReputationRep:
    heythrop college london are a theology and philosophy university... but they do psychology courses aswell.

They will probably do more philosophical approaches to psychology and be interested in things like morality... i did their essay prize last year and it was about the philosophy of science/psychology mostly. They have loads of cardinals and bishops and stuff as their tutors so that puts me off completely lol, but if your christian you may like it :P

Psychology though, is a science. You'll need a REALLY dumbed down psychology if you hate science...... or like the above one a mixed course which will probably leave out the statistics...

ReputationRep:
    Try anthropology instead?

If you don't like science, then I'm thinking 3 years of just doing psychology isn't for you.

How about a joint course - psychology and something non-scientific, so you get less science overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imogen9286)
    Hello everyone,
    Can anyone provide me with information on more NON scientific psychology courses which are still highly reputable? I know they all come with their share of science, but I wouldn't want to follow it up and be an actual psychologist so it's not as important for me... I'd probably go into adveritising or something.
    I heard Goldsmiths course is less scientific than most?
    Thank you for any help
    x

By the way I'm predicted A* A A
    Psychology, English Lit, Art (in that order)

Thank you
    Like someone else already said it depends what you mean by non-scientific, if you mean literally non-scientific then I think you will struggle to find anywhere. If you just mean somewhwere which emphasises social/cognitive type stuff over biological/neuroscience type stuff, then Bath (A*AA) quite focused on social/cognitive (but you have to do a psych placement year with a psychologist...which you might not want to do if you dont want to go into a career in Psychology), Lancasters (AAB, I think) quite focused on developmental/cognitive, but you still going to need to do some of that stuff to get BPS accreditation, I know you said you dont want to be a Psychologist, but most decent unis for Psych want there course to be accredited so they fit to the guidlines, which means some biological stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.