Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

thought of the best diet! Watch

ReputationRep:
    i've lost a stone and a half in the past month eating this every day:

9.00ish - an apple and a hot chocolate
    1.00ish - an innocent veg pot which are about 450
    6.30 - a weightwatchers meal (usually a chicken curry, pasta, chilli with potato wedges etc) which are about 350 cals each.
    and lots of green tea in between!

i don't feel hungry except just before it's time for me to eat, which is how it should be. don't even know why i'm posting this but for anyone who's been trying to think of a good diet, try this! although innocent veg pots (and weightwatchers meals for that matter) can be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like a relatively healthy diet, but I definitely don't think you shouldn't be having this every day, and you're certainly not getting enough calories - if you're trying to lose weight you shouldn't be eating under 1200kcals a day (some may say more than this). Of course, this will make weight loss slower in the short term, but eating less than this will actually lower your metabolism - on this amount you will come to a plateau and will not lose anymore (unless you eat even less...which could quite likely develop into an eating disorder)...then when you eat more again, you will end up putting on more weight than before, as your metabolism is too low.

Also, it is important you eat a variety of foods to be healthy - it's not just about the calorie content and 'weight watchers' products (trust me, I'm recovering from anorexia and so learnt the hard way).

By all means use calories as a guideline, but please don't get sucked into the 'only eating a certain amount a day' routine - it's lethal, and doesn't do your body at all any good in the long run.

So, I'd recommend having what you've listed above for a few days a week, if that's what you like, but do make sure to vary it too - I notice you're not having any diary...this is EXTREMELY important for your bone health and fertility (if you're female). So if you're wanting to keep up the healthy eating, add in a yoghurt or two - one low fat yoghurt can give you about 30% of your GDA of calcium.

Also, do keep an eye on these 'low fat' 'low calorie' products - the brands often advertise these points but then hide the fact that the foods are laden with sugar or salt etc.

Obviously I'm not aware of your weight, height, or diet before this diet etc etc, so it may be that your weight loss is perfectly healthy and your change in diet has been a postive change to what you had before...but just wanted to highlight some possible problems with the 'best diet'.

Sorry for the lecture, and I hope you don't find my comments out of place - but I just don't want you to fall into the same trap I did, or to damage your health by missing out on essential nutrients. Perhaps try a more balanced diet with higher calories, combined with a little/a little more exercise, if you're in need of losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    great for if you just sit in your bed all day, otherwise you'll have zero energy to do things like walking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    great for if you just sit in your bed all day, otherwise you'll have zero energy to do things like walking
    That's what I was thinking. You certainly wouldn't have enough time for exercise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.