Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    Ok so me and my friend are both lost with this question we have.

We've basically got a table with some investigations, and we have to predict whether the reaction will happen and if so the products and colour of the resultant product.
    So for the first question it's quite straightforward but on the second the question is

VO_2^+ (aq) +I^- (aq) then add thiosulfate (VI)
    We don't really understand what the thiosulfate would do to the reaction

My chemistry teacher fails completely. Her half arsed attempt at explaining this was completely wrong from what we could gather as she kept writing down the wrong equations! She's made me hate this goddamn subeject
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doomhalo)
    Hi there!
    Ok so me and my friend are both lost with this question we have.

We've basically got a table with some investigations, and we have to predict whether the reaction will happen and if so the products and colour of the resultant product.
    So for the first question it's quite straightforward but on the second the question is

VO_2^+ (aq) +I^- (aq) then add thiosulfate (VI)
    We don't really understand what the thiosulfate would do to the reaction

My chemistry teacher fails completely. Her half arsed attempt at explaining this was completely wrong from what we could gather as she kept writing down the wrong equations! She's made me hate this goddamn subeject
    OK so you need to use the Eº values of the VO2+ and I- half equations to decide if the redox reactionis spontaneous (possible)

In the reaction the vanadium (V) would get reduced and the iodide (-I) would get oxidised..

E(rxn) = E(red) - E(ox)

if the value of E(rxn) is positive and greater than 0.3V the reaction is spontaneous and proceeds to completion.

The thiosulphate reacts with the iodine and reduces it to colourless iodide ions. I suppose this will allow you to see the colour of the species formed by reducing the vanadium (V) species, as there are three possibilities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.