Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GIRLS: How long does it take you to get over an ex!? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi people!

Basically, myself and this girl had something going on, and we arranged to meet up.

She backed out on a few occasions, and then sent me a massive essay of a text saying that she really likes me, but wishes to wait until after christmas and see how she feels then - she broke up with some guy about a month ago

Is this a major cop out, or does it sound genuine to people?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    That's normal. Relationships are screwed up and you never quite get over said person. I mean yeah you can move on and feel attraction what so ever, but there's still history. Naturally she is thinking 'what if' because we all wonder and imagine how good it would be if it all went right, regardless of the reality. She obviously is unsure and itps stuck between that 'what if, lets give it another go' and the 'no, bad once bad alway, just move on' stage.

Sorry for the crappy advice it prolly makes no sense because it's *******y****e.

ReputationRep:
    They forget about their ex quickly when they bump into me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Love it.
    LAD.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hai :flutter:

I think she's genuine...it depends on the person and the relationship, but I'm finding a month and a half on and I'm almost over my last thing.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on the duration of the relationship and the individual. For me it's been nearly 6 months and I'm getting there....

mm whatever! haha

ReputationRep:
    depends on the length relationship and how it ended. one of my exes it took me a couple of months before i felt like dating again, another one only a week and a half.

ReputationRep:
    using the formula (x ÷ 10 + 20) * y
    x= days with bf
    y= how much she liked her bf, % wise

so if she was with a boy for 200 days and liked him 57% it would take 2280 hours to fully get over him, which is 83 days.

You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how long you're with them, and the circumstances that lead to the break up.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's about 2 months since I went through a break up and I'm only just starting to look at other people.

I kissed someone a couple of weeks after the breakup, but it just didn't feel right.

So yeah, give the girl a couple of months at least.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on circumstances - I know me and my last ex had a really messy break up and it took me about 6 months for me to feel totally over him and ready to move on and think about getting with anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Well it's about 2 months since I went through a break up and I'm only just starting to look at other people.

I kissed someone a couple of weeks after the breakup, but it just didn't feel right.

So yeah, give the girl a couple of months at least.
    I'm sorry to hear that you and Oli broke up.

To answer the OP...

I would say at least a couple of months too. It was about 10 weeks before I felt ready to date again. I'm now dating again, and in fact, I have a date tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I'm sorry to hear that you and Oli broke up.

To answer the OP...

I would say at least a couple of months too. It was about 10 weeks before I felt ready to date again. I'm now dating again, and in fact, I have a date tonight.
    Thanks Posy I'm alright now though. I've realised how much of an immature little Peter Pan he was - the boy who never grew up.

Onto bigger and better things m'dear But thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Thanks Posy I'm alright now though. I've realised how much of an immature little Peter Pan he was - the boy who never grew up.

Onto bigger and better things m'dear But thanks!
    Exactly!

I'm back in the States now, because Will was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to university in England, but once I'd moved back over, he cheated on me.

Anyway, it made me realize I'd made a big mistake moving back, and that despite me thinking I wanted to be back in England, I feel more at home in the US now. So back I came.

I was heartbroken at first, but am over it now, and like you said, onto bigger and better things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Exactly!

I'm back in the States now, because Will was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to university in England, but once I'd moved back over, he cheated on me.

Anyway, it made me realize I'd made a big mistake moving back, and that despite me thinking I wanted to be back in England, I feel more at home in the US now. So back I came.

I was heartbroken at first, but am over it now, and like you said, onto bigger and better things!
    Oh men eh! lol. Well I'm glad things are going well for you now! I'll have to pop over to the states for a visit my lovely hehe!

about 2-3 months on all my previous relationships..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    using the formula (x ÷ 10 + 20) * y
    x= days with bf
    y= how much she liked her bf, % wise

so if she was with a boy for 200 days and liked him 57% it would take 2280 hours to fully get over him, which is 83 days.

You're welcome.
    Gotta love you math guys, guess it’s gonna be a ***** for the lass that was involved in a 4 year relationship and liked her bf 100%. ..lol

Are you guys on same cause? Do you have a commen interest in History or maths ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.