Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting work as a trainee solicitor in September next year, and planning on stocking up on a few suits/shirts/tops in the Jan sales to save on the pennies.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to look? Mid-high price range really.

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    where are you located?

i used to work for a top accounting firm ('big 4' a bit like magic cirle of finance).

im pretty small, UK size 4-6 so used to shop in places that catered for small gals hence the cheapie stores listed. but i would recommend plus guide price:

- H&M for tailored everday shirts if you need very small sizes about £15 each, small suits about £30 blazer and £25 skirt. their shirts are fine for small-med law firms

- if not, TM Lewin shirts good quality but about £25-30 each or often 4 for £100 shirts, they do suits too. but excessive for small-med law frms

- PINK or Hackett or Hawes & Curtis (£££££loads)

- NEXT are the BEST for everday suits, go down to size 6, when i started work i got about 4 from there, well worth it and very expensive looking but conservative styles from around £50 blazer and £25 skirt. they also have the NEXT sales which is actually where i got all my suits.

-ZARA do nice sweaters for on top of shirts under your blazer jacket. they go down to XS (size 6)they also do real nice classy suits and very good for work coats (you cannot wear a duffel jacket to work!)

-if you are cheapie, try tesco home or tesco direct online, they do some nice suits (avoid VALUE range or 100% polyester) very cheaply, very good for work coats and bags

- and also, not to forget...MARKS AND SPENCERS!! great for suits, coats, bags, officewear.

cheapest but good quality i d say next sale and HM shirts, and tesco online

ReputationRep:
    where are you located?

i used to work for a top accounting firm ('big 4' a bit like magic cirle of finance).

im pretty small, UK size 4-6 so used to shop in places that catered for small gals hence the cheapie stores listed. but i would recommend plus guide price:

- H&M for tailored everday shirts if you need very small sizes about £15 each, small suits about £30 blazer and £25 skirt. their shirts are fine for small-med law firms

- if not, TM Lewin shirts good quality but about £25-30 each or often 4 for £100 shirts, they do suits too. but excessive for small-med law frms

- PINK or Hackett or Hawes & Curtis (£££££loads)

- NEXT are the BEST for everday suits, go down to size 6, when i started work i got about 4 from there, well worth it and very expensive looking but conservative styles from around £50 blazer and £25 skirt. they also have the NEXT sales which is actually where i got all my suits.

-ZARA do nice sweaters for on top of shirts under your blazer jacket. they go down to XS (size 6)they also do real nice classy suits and very good for work coats (you cannot wear a duffel jacket to work!)

-if you are cheapie, try tesco home or tesco direct online, they do some nice suits (avoid VALUE range or 100% polyester) very cheaply, very good for work coats and bags

ReputationRep:
    I'm in London so can pretty much go anywhere - I'm starting at a Silver Circle law firm so need high spec stuff.

Budget isn't that big an issue so I've had a look on the Hawes & Curtis website and love some of their shirts! Also TM Lewin - they have lots of offers on which bring the prices down to high street if you buy a few at a time.

Thanks very much for your help xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.