Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thailand Summer 2011- HELP! =] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone planning on going to Thailand Summer 2011???

I was planning a trip with a friend who backed out when it came to booking

I still have my heart set on going alone and have been looking at either guided tours or volunteering projects

There are so many to choose from I don't know where to start....any ideas of the best ones....and most importantly where the i'd meet the most people seeing as im going alone....

any ideas...

ReputationRep:
    Can offer quite a lot of advise since I spent a month there this summer with my brother.

Firstly, don't go alone unless you are very confident, not gullable and don't get lonely/vunerable. Scams are everywhere there and the friendly - seeming Thai people generally want your cash, not exaggerating since I travelled accross the country for a month - Thai people don't like foreigners. If anybody approaches you in a city or town and starts talking to you in good English without a clear motive besides friendliness, ignore them or say that you've been to Thailand before (unless they're a monk). Also, don't pay for anything in a temple, don't believe them if they say it's a special holiday for tourists and if you're having a hard time don't make it obvious - you'll get targetted more.

Having said that Bangkok is the nastiest place for that, though all areas you'll be paying double the price of Thai people but then Thai people pay so little that it shouldn't be an issue.

If you're in a tour or volunteering project you should be fine though, so long as you make sure it's all trust worthy - but keep your wits about you anyway. Meeting people is good in Chiang Mai and Pai, very laid back places and very touristy - as tragic as it sounds the tourist traps are often the better places (except the Southern beaches where it's drugs, sex, theft and a very heavy mafia pressence).

Besides that, don't get in a tuk-tuk before negotiating a price, never above 100B and only use the green and yellow taxis with a meter not a pre-arranged price. Never go to a shop/club with more staff than customers and always be on your guard.

Being careful and it will be ****ing great, I sound butthurt but I really did love it, but some aspects of the Thai culture are disgusting and you'll find that out from talking to other travellers (of which there are plenty of interesting ones). The scenary is beautiful but there are no easy paths in the country as well, bear that in mind if you want a walking holiday.

Hope this was helpful, it's cheap as well by the way - besides flights me and my brother lived well on £200 equivallent each for the hole month, it's easy to conserve cash there. And remember - don't get anything above tipsy in Thailand on your own.

ReputationRep:
    thanks mate,

great paragraph of info

i was thinking i might of needed like 500quid. Guess not.

Yeah defo think a volunteering sort of thing. Would be far to scared to travel alone

ReputationRep:
    Thailand = LadyBoys?

ReputationRep:
    lady boys?

ReputationRep:
    Hey im going to be volunterring in feb/march with a company call international volunteer HQ. Im going for 3 weeks to teach english. Im then traveling for 6/7 weeks around the country and loas and cambodia. The charity is the mirror foundation and seem to be very good.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is anyone still going?!I have the same problem, left alone?!
    Let me know if someone's still up for it!

ReputationRep:
    Il give ya a review of my trip I went alone and vokunteered for 4 weeks before i traveled. DO IT! Best decision i ever made was volunteering! The best time of my life was those 4 weeks. The mirror foundation ( go direct on there website) where amazing. I met people there that i spent 4 weeks traveling with. Had the time of my life just do it Also im veryshy so this was great way to meet new people. Oh and i now have Thai freinds who are great people

ReputationRep:
    Hi Fen,

I run a teacher training and volunteer project in Bangkok and Ayutthaya, which may interest you.

It's a little more than the £200 someone quoted, but not everyone enjoys not being able to sleep in a hostel dorm. £450 for 28 days in a nice hotel, your own en-suite room with all mod cons, rooftop swimming pool etc..

Basically www.bansabaihostel.com give me discounted rooms in return for helping the local community. I have been involved with TEFL since 2005 and provide a one-week TEFL course focused on teaching English to young learners, then in week 2 go with you to a local school and support you with your first experience of teaching. In week 3 you go to Thailand's ancient capital, Ayutthaya, to teach, then back to your hotel in week 4 to do as you please.

I love Bangkok! It's very cosmopolitan and Thai people are generally very friendly. Perhaps wise to be cautious, but I don't see very much of the negative details posted on this thread. Most Thai's are poor, so seeing a young foreigner being able to travel overseas and throw money around, of course they think you are loaded and want to feel the fabric of your fibre. If you've had one too many and are hanging around the girlie bar areas in the wee small hours, of course a prostitute will approach you! But really, I find the place to be extremely safe, and far safer than many parts of the UK.

I've been snowed under organising some schools, so haven't finished the website yet. I'll try to get that done over the weekend. I plan to have 10 people on each course, so the worry about being alone will be covered.

www.GallahadEnglish.com

(Original post by fen_34)

I still have my heart set on going alone and have been looking at either guided tours or volunteering projects

There are so many to choose from I don't know where to start....any ideas of the best ones....and most importantly where the i'd meet the most people seeing as im going alone....

any ideas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fen_34)

any ideas...

Hi there,

I went to Thailand by myself last year when I was 18. I started off in Chaing Mai doing a 4 day tour with Intrepid Travel. It was cheap, amazingly fun and the accomodation was brilliant.

I then travelled down south to the islands and did a two week volunteering project with pod. www.podvolunteer.org This was amazing and I met some wicked people who I then travelled with after. While volunteering we stayed in single, en-suite beach bungalows which were so nice. It was a great experience and a great way to meet people so I highly recomment doing something like that

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Thailand. I'm currently interning for the summer but will be going back to Thailand during end of july-end of aug this summer. I'm a rising a junior at Wellesley College.

If you need help add me on fb Pariya Will Sripakdeevong. I can give advise/recommendations.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Thailand. Definitely should visit.
    P.S. Lady boys exist but they are not prevalent as people say. Hangover 2 is mis-representative of bkk.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if you add me on fb please write a quick note about you being from student room. DOn't want to decline your add without knowing.

Good luck! I really hope you get to know thailand more and thanks for your interest in thailand!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.