Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my work xmas party next week, a very posh smart affair! All the men are wearing suits, ties etc. I bought this dress...

http://www.asos.com/Tfnc/Tfnc-Lazer-...t=-1&clr=Black

I'm planning on wearing it with very black 120den tights and killer heels However i've tried the whole outfit on and the dress is so static and clingy that it just looks horrible the skirt part just sticks to my butt and ends up looking like a pair of baggy shorts lol. What can I do to fix please??? I tried it without the tights and its fine, however bare legs are obviously not an option right now! I've tried washing it and still the same
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You need to go to M&S and get yourself a slip.

ReputationRep:
    That just gives images of something my gran would wear lol. Do they do them short enough for that dress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy_alton)
    That just gives images of something my gran would wear lol. Do they do them short enough for that dress?
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/V-Nec...qid=1291668097

Worth going into the shop, taking the dress with you and trying them on together to check the length is alright! You can also get ones that are just a skirt.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, sometimes grans know best!

Hairspray might work as a temporary solution, but also might fail halfway through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostInLaw)
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/V-Nec...qid=1291668097

Worth going into the shop, taking the dress with you and trying them on together to check the length is alright! You can also get ones that are just a skirt.

Thank you ladies I'll pop in and try one on with the dress. I don't know why but I just don't feel all that keen on the slip though is it not gonna feel like I'm wearing 2 dresses? And what happens if I get lucky lol hardly fashionable is it!

I might test the hairspray solution. I've got a skirt which i stopped wearing cos it did the same thing, I'll wear it all day tomorrow and hairspray my tights!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ladies I'll pop in and try one on with the dress. I don't know why but I just don't feel all that keen on the slip though is it not gonna feel like I'm wearing 2 dresses? And what happens if I get lucky lol hardly fashionable is it!

I might test the hairspray solution. I've got a skirt which i stopped wearing cos it did the same thing, I'll wear it all day tomorrow and hairspray my tights!
    You can probably find something a bit sexier if you shop around. :P They're sooo light that it really doesn't feel like wearing 2 dresses, it's just like underwear.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a really nice dress. Go to M&S and buy a slip to go under it like:-
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks...qid=1291675165

or

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks...qid=1291675246

or something similar to those should help then you can wear tights, another thing you could try is stocking might be better if you like stockings

ReputationRep:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks...qid=1291675165

ReputationRep:

How did you get on? The dress looks a bit too fitted around the waist to wear a slip with it. I have a similar dress and can't wear a slip with that.

I would have thought a pair of stockings or hold ups would be your best bet and far more attractive if you were to get lucky! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&C)
    How did you get on? The dress looks a bit too fitted around the waist to wear a slip with it. I have a similar dress and can't wear a slip with that.

I would have thought a pair of stockings or hold ups would be your best bet and far more attractive if you were to get lucky! ;-)
    I wore that skirt all day on Tuesday, the hairspray solution worked for a couple of hours then wore off!

I tried a couple of different slips on with my dress but didn't like it I got some tips off a lady in the shop though. Apparently if I hang the dress up in the bathroom while having a shower the humidity stops static! Also placing a small safety pin in the hem helps! I shall be testing these later!

I've been looking round for some stockings but I can't find any with a 120 denier. I'm very fussy with my tights lol. I like them really black! I've also never worn stockings believe it or not!!

ReputationRep:
    For static-y dance costumes we have always put some vodka and water in a spray bottle and sprayed our costumes or just run a dryer sheet over top of it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking round for some stockings but I can't find any with a 120 denier. I'm very fussy with my tights lol. I like them really black! I've also never worn stockings believe it or not!!
    uktights.com do some 100 denier stockings?

ReputationRep:
    I wore that skirt all day on Tuesday, the hairspray solution worked for a couple of hours then wore off!

I tried a couple of different slips on with my dress but didn't like it I got some tips off a lady in the shop though. Apparently if I hang the dress up in the bathroom while having a shower the humidity stops static! Also placing a small safety pin in the hem helps! I shall be testing these later!

Hi

I've never come across 120 denier but I wear these quite frequently as they're really dark and opaque.

http://www.stockingshq.com/shop-by-b...arenze/TRA-016

The 100 denier ones from uktights aren't as opaque. I've got a pair of the black ones but once they're stretched, they look a bit more see through.

If you've never one stockings before, you should give it a try as I find them so much more comfy, practical and hygienic than tights but you need to make sure you get a decent suspender belt. the stockingshq website have loads of really good ones with nice thick straps and metals clasps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&C)
    Hi

I've never come across 120 denier but I wear these quite frequently as they're really dark and opaque.

http://www.stockingshq.com/shop-by-b...arenze/TRA-016

The 100 denier ones from uktights aren't as opaque. I've got a pair of the black ones but once they're stretched, they look a bit more see through.

If you've never one stockings before, you should give it a try as I find them so much more comfy, practical and hygienic than tights but you need to make sure you get a decent suspender belt. the stockingshq website have loads of really good ones with nice thick straps and metals clasps.
    Thank you! I've ordered some of the 100 denier ones from uktights. I'll see how I get on with them. My friend has lent me a suspender belt it looks really fiddly though!! Lol

I have managed to get most of the static out of the dress though, it's not half as bad so hopefully I'll be able to stick with my tights

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I've ordered some of the 100 denier ones from uktights. I'll see how I get on with them. My friend has lent me a suspender belt it looks really fiddly though!! Lol

I have managed to get most of the static out of the dress though, it's not half as bad so hopefully I'll be able to stick with my tights
    They're not fiddly once you get the hang of attaching the stockings. PM me if you need any advice how best to do it. Hope you have a good night!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.