Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Penalty Jar Idea - FAIL!!! Watch

Announcements

My bf of 2 months has become more and more wierd...

last week he decided he would implement a 'penalty jar' its a bit like a swear jar but decidedly more...odd. basically whenever one of us does something 'bad' to other (as in lying or arguing) they have to put money (£10 +) into the jar which will go towards going on a holiday at the end of the year (which he just presumed i'd agree to). if we break up before then, whoever is the one who gets broken up with keeps the money.

i do not like the jar. we've been going out 2 months and frankly it's just wierd. i've lost £40 so far this week and he's lost nothing. i've tried arguing with him about the jar and lost £20 through doing so

what should i do???

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to **** off and take your money back.

He's a freak.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is seriously weird.

Take your money back and get out of the relationship :/

ReputationRep:
    take the money and run

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like some future cult leader or something weird like that...

Run before he poisons your kool-aid.

Weird, and it also sounds like he's using it as insurance in case you break up. If he doesn't accept that he's done something bad then it's a pointless exercise anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      My bf of 2 months has become more and more wierd...

last week he decided he would implement a 'penalty jar' its a bit like a swear jar but decidedly more...odd. basically whenever one of us does something 'bad' to other (as in lying or arguing) they have to put money (£10 +) into the jar which will go towards going on a holiday at the end of the year (which he just presumed i'd agree to). if we break up before then, whoever is the one who gets broken up with keeps the money.

i do not like the jar. we've been going out 2 months and frankly it's just wierd. i've lost £40 so far this week and he's lost nothing. i've tried arguing with him about the jar and lost £20 through doing so

what should i do???
      And why did you even put the 20 quid in?

ReputationRep:
      i've tried arguing with him about the jar and lost £20 through doing so

what should i do???
      Loooooooool

Just tell him shut up and take your money back.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thetopnotch)
      Weird, and it also sounds like he's using it as insurance in case you break up. If he doesn't accept that he's done something bad then it's a pointless exercise anyway.
      this
      Also he may try get you to break up with him so he gets the dosh

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sango)
      Sounds like some future cult leader or something weird like that...

Run before he poisons your kool-aid.
      Win.

ReputationRep:
      HAHA you tried to talk to him about the jar.. and he just taps the jar patronisingly...

ReputationRep:
      1. Cheat on him.
      2. He dumps you.
      3. You win.

ReputationRep:
      Take the money out of the jar and shove it up his arse.

ReputationRep:
      Well if you know the penalties why are you breaking them, thus causing you to put money in the jar :facepalm2: womenz are stupidz :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      Tell him you didn't agree to the penalty jar, therefore you don't need to put money in.
      Or at least put limits on the whoever is the dumpee keeps the money; IMO the one who causes the breakup (eg. the cheater) shouldn't get the money. (Although IMO there shouldn't be a jar, so I'm not considering what might happen if you are both responsible for wanting to break up)

Who keeps the jar by the way? I'm assuming you don't live together if you've only been together 2 months.
      And what did you do to need to put the first £20 in?

(Original post by Persephone9)
      Tell him you didn't agree to the penalty jar, therefore you don't need to put money in.
      Or at least put limits on the whoever is the dumpee keeps the money; IMO the one who causes the breakup (eg. the cheater) shouldn't get the money. (Although IMO there shouldn't be a jar, so I'm not considering what might happen if you are both responsible for wanting to break up)

Who keeps the jar by the way? I'm assuming you don't live together if you've only been together 2 months.
      And what did you do to need to put the first £20 in?

he keeps the jar

i didn't feel like having sex and he wouldn't listen so i told him i was on my period, then he checked his diary and realised i wasn't - so lying basically.

ReputationRep:
      he keeps the jar

i didn't feel like having sex and he wouldn't listen so i told him i was on my period, then he checked his diary and realised i wasn't - so lying basically.
      WHAT!?! He keeps a record of when you have your period?

That is just down-right eff'ing weird!

ReputationRep:
      he keeps the jar

If you can't work out not needing a jar, then I'd suggest he keeps it one week and you have it the next, to make it fairer. Although admittedly suggesting that will probably earn you another fine, for implying that he isn't trustworthy.

Oh, and I'd tell him that he needs to put at least £15 in for not accepting that you didn't want to have sex, and probably another £5 for keeping a dairy of your period, the freak.

ReputationRep:
      He sounds like a total nutjob.

Id take ur money and run

ReputationRep:
      :troll: Amusing one though tbf.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.