Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls - if your boyfriend gets you nothing for bday/xmas Watch

ReputationRep:
    Girls, how would you feel if your boyfriend who is well-off/borderline rich doesn't get you any present on your birthday or christmas but instead just sends you a sweet message on the day?

Would you say anything, and would you think it's acceptable if he didn't expect anything from you either and even went as far as specifically telling you not to get him anything?

Also how does the fact that he's got a lot of money (and seems to be splashing it on shopping sprees for himself) influence your opinion/feeling towards it?

ReputationRep:
    Beat his ass to the ground!

ReputationRep:
    I would be pissed off considering I have little to no money and still manage to buy presents.

I'd be pretty annoyed as thats very selfish but still can't really expect anything....

ReputationRep:
      Annoyed, unless we'd agreed not to give presents.

ReputationRep:
      Unless we'd talked about it and mutually agreed to not get each other presents, I'd be a bit annoyed yeah

ReputationRep:
      I'd be pretty pissed off to be honest in the example you've given. If the guy was really poor (or actually if he was rich but we'd agreed on the matter) and we'd agreed to not buy gifts but do something else that cost nothing that year then I'd be totally fine. But him just spending loads of money on himself and getting nothing for me at all on a special occasion? That would annoy me a lot, I'd always make the effort to buy for him.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be okay with it as long as he didn't completely forget and at least acknowledged it was my birthday and sent me a message.

Wouldn't happen, though.

ReputationRep:
      It's not fair if he hadn't told you he wasn't getting anything and you'd got him something. Some couples make agreements not to get each other Christmas presents which is fine- providing you both agree you'll stick to it.

ReputationRep:
      Sounds like my boyfriend.

He is absolutely loaded its ridiculous but he hates spending a penny of it.

My boyfriend always tries to get out of present buying by saying "Ooh I don't expect anything from you!"
      But thats not the point. I genuinely enjoy buying gifts for people .
      I told him that it isn't so much what the gift is, it's what it represents.
      It represents the time they put in thinking about what you might like and the effort they put in to buy it for you etc
      It doesn't have to be expensive or anything, just a gesture that shows some consideration went in to it.

I think people who hate buying presents and receiving them are just selfish. It just shows they aren't very giving people.

Have a word with him and make him know that occasions are a big deal to you and that you would like him to treat them as such.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be upset, unless I knew that I wouldn't be getting anything for whatver reason.

ReputationRep:
      Tell him to go to the kitchen and make you a sandwich. No but seriously, that's a bit , odd ? Even though material goods aren't everything it's nice to acknowledge a special occasion like Xmas/Birthdays with gifts, even if they're home-made and stuff, it's just a nice thought. I love going to choose my boyfriend presents and when he opens them hes all excited and happy and that makes me feel great Your boyfriend should want to feel this way about you, he sounds a tiny bit stingy, especially if you hadn't agreed prior to not buy presents.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be all right with that - I find gifts awkward and don't like surprises, so unless I'd specifically asked for anything (which I wouldn't have, because I could afford it myself and don't like to burden other people) I'd actually be happier if he got me nothing.

ReputationRep:
      If he was spending loads on himself, then yeh, I would be a big annoyed.

ReputationRep:
      This was the case on my birthday and will be the same on Christmas but in his defence, he's not exactly having the best time at the moment. Mind you, I might be a little pissed if he was just being lazy and stingy by not buying me something for my birthday, which isn't the case. He doesn't bother with Christmas anyway so I can forgive him for that - why should he bother with a celebration he doesn't believe in just because I celebrate it?

ReputationRep:
      I'd be perfectly happy with that. A nice message/knowing that he hasn't forgotten my birthday is more than enough. But then, I personally just feel uncomfortable getting presents from anyone for any occasion anyway...

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't care, honestly. I'm a firm believer of partners not spending loads on each other. I've told my boyfriend not to get me anything. Tbh I prefer people to spend the money they worked for on themselves, so I really dislike getting presents.

ReputationRep:
      I would be really annoyed. Me and my boyfriend were both skint last valentines day, so I said we'll give each other a £5 top limit on materials, and make each other something. It was really thoughtful, and not expensive.

If my boyfriend was spending loads and loads of money on himself, then gave me a "message" for christmas, I would be really annoyed. Not even something cheap and tacky? Not even worth a trip to poundland? Something small, even something seemingly insignificant can make a difference if its well thought out.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, I'd be upset. I've never had a boyfriend on my birthday/Christmas though, so it's never been an issue.

Valentines though, this year I'd just started seeing someone and we agreed in advance that we were ignoring the day. It's a ridiculous day imo, and in any case it was way too soon to do anything for it. I can't even remember if I spent it with him or not.

ReputationRep:
      Seriously I don't get some guys. I have peanuts and I am nearly at death's door trying to think of a way to make Christmas special for my gf. For her birthday I gave her a photo album with photo's have lots of our happy memories. No idea what to do this year though

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.