Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Needing a GCSE language to study English and Philosophy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that one of the requirements for studying English at an undergraduate level is a GCSE pass grade C or above in a language. I didn't opt to study a language for GCSE so could I be rejected on that alone, even considering I wish to do a joint honours? I have really set my heart on Edinburgh or York, but both of these universities want this requirement... If anyone has been accepted for a course like this in the past, in a similar situation for me, any advice would be appreciated so much!

Alexandra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseRequiem)
    I've noticed that one of the requirements for studying English at an undergraduate level is a GCSE pass grade C or above in a language. I didn't opt to study a language for GCSE so could I be rejected on that alone, even considering I wish to do a joint honours? I have really set my heart on Edinburgh or York, but both of these universities want this requirement... If anyone has been accepted for a course like this in the past, in a similar situation for me, any advice would be appreciated so much!

Alexandra
    You will really need a language at GCSE if that's what the entry requirements say. There isn't any loophole.

ReputationRep:
    In a word, no.

If it is a minimum entry requirement then they have it there for a reason, its a minimum standard you must have in order to be considered for an offer.

Edinburgh do not budge on this and there are a handful of people every year on TSR crying about the fact they've been rejected for not having a GCSE in a language. This year will be no different, I guarantee it. If it is in the entry requirements then you need to have it just like you need to have GCSE Maths and English. The only time they will consider an application without a GCSE in a language is if your school literally did not offer any language GCSEs. This needs to be included by your referee or in a separate letter when your is sent application.

I know that York have accepted Open University language courses in lieu of a GCSE language, Edinburgh refused to accept this for the same applicant although they did have fairly extenuating circumstances as they had no GCSEs at all. Your options are either to find other universities or take up a GCSE or equivalent qualification that both universities will accept and take it in the summer alongside your A levels. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but its the truth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.