Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I am currently in 5th year (in scotland) and am now thinking about possible degrees i would like to study once i leave school next year. Right now i am doing: English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, all at higher and am thinking about going on to do a degree in zoology.

However i am unsureabout wether this is a sensible choice. I have been interested in the animal kingdom for as long as i can remember, it is what i am passionate about, but now after reaserching the prospects of zoology graduates i am starting to realise that there are few job opportunities out there.

Have i been misled to believe the bleak world for budding zoologists out there? I hope so.

Advice from zoology students about wether they think they have made the right choice would be greatly appreciated, as would general advice from anyone.

thank you for all who could be bothered to read that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in the answer to this too since i'm applying for zoology I think it all depends on what you want to do though after you graduate, if you want to be a zookeeper or along them lines then it will be difficult trying to get a job as they are really competitive..

ReputationRep:
    that is the problem. i don't know what i want to do. all i know is that that;s what i'm interested in, i haven't planned any futher than that.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely do a degree in a subject that interests you and not make a decision based on job prospects (that are changing anyway). True interest in the subject is going to lead to great results, which in turn leads to more job opportunities.

Doing a Zoology degree doesn't mean you have to become a zoologist. It is still a fairly broad biological sciences degree and most courses would prepare you quite well for careers in the fields of genetics, ecology, and environmental sciences (and these are just some of the options). And no doubt that a MSc or PhD would further advance your career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzo)
    I'm interested in the answer to this too since i'm applying for zoology I think it all depends on what you want to do though after you graduate, if you want to be a zookeeper or along them lines then it will be difficult trying to get a job as they are really competitive..
    Just about no ppl doing a zoology course will ever become zoo keepers. zoologists are much higher trained than the keepers in the zoos and zoology covers much more than you need to become one.

(Original post by Peregrinum)
    You should definitely do a degree in a subject that interests you and not make a decision based on job prospects (that are changing anyway). True interest in the subject is going to lead to great results, which in turn leads to more job opportunities.

Doing a Zoology degree doesn't mean you have to become a zoologist. It is still a fairly broad biological sciences degree and most courses would prepare you quite well for careers in the fields of genetics, ecology, and environmental sciences (and these are just some of the options). And no doubt that a MSc or PhD would further advance your career prospects.
    This.

Also the amount of jobs available are very very very wide ranging and many are abroad in conservation work. However, you can also go into genetics, behavioural, paleozoology or just generally become and expert in a desired field work which can get you really good jobs.

Not to mention TV work for that lucky person when Attenborough is 6 feet under......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzo)
    Just about no ppl doing a zoology course will ever become zoo keepers. zoologists are much higher trained than the keepers in the zoos and zoology covers much more than you need to become one.

(Original post by Peregrinum)

This.

Also the amount of jobs available are very very very wide ranging and many are abroad in conservation work. However, you can also go into genetics, behavioural, paleozoology or just generally become and expert in a desired field work which can get you really good jobs.

Not to mention TV work for that lucky person when Attenborough is 6 feet under......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.