The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni advice

Hello :]

I'm currently studying law at london metropolitan university, and i absolutely hate it. i regret the uni choice and the location, im originally from a small village and i simply cannot adapt to london. i dislike the university,its teaching methods etc and its causing me to feel depressed and keeps me awake at night o.o which causes me to fall asleep at awkward times such as 6am which is the time i should be getting up for uni >.<

I've decided i want to drop out, have given it consideration and my parents support my decision. But i have a few questions if someone could help me out? :]

Firstly, anyone had experience of dropping out? how long does the process take and does it have to be in person?

I'm planning to reapply for university next year but preferably one of more quality, will i find it difficult getting funding and an acceptance?

A friend of mine rarely attends university and has recently been kicked out for failing to attend, am i right in thinking this would make other universities consider me more of a risk rather then just dropping out?

Also who do i have to notify of dropping out, other then the university?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give will be much appreciated :]
Reply 1
Other universities will want an academic reference from you, and this may be fr5om your current uni. If you are kicked out your reference will not be positive as it must state this. Dropping out will mean your reference can be better.

You would initially be advised to see your personal tutor or student services. From there you may be able to complete the process by email or writing a letter. There isn't a set timescale as it varies between unis.

Other unis may not care about your false start, as long as you can show you have learnt something from it. You need to be positive in your UCAS personal statement. You also have 9 months to fill with something that will be beneficial to your application. Bear in mind that the deadline for equal consideration is January 15th, so you need to start your UCAS application quickly.

You need to tell the uni mainly. If your accommodation is provided by another company you need to tell them. It would be a good idea to tell the SLC but your uni should so you don't have to. You really should tell your bank, but then they'll take your overdraft away which may be a disaster, so you might want to forget to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending