Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mods - please keep post anon or delete, thanks.

I found out I was pregnant on Saturday. 2 positive home tests confirmed. I had been on the pill for 3 years, then decided to come off in June due to migraines and constant break through bleeding. Hormonal methods of contraception just arent for me. So since then, I have been using condoms only. I have had no period since coming off the pill, and was told by many doctors to 'not worry' about it. So naturally, when no period came, I was 'not worried.' For the last 3 weeks I have been experiencing constant nausea, off food, not my normal self. Took test on Sat - confirmed my worst fears. No question about keeping it - i'm a final year student with no income, and certainly in no mental state to bring up a child (I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for sometime now.) Please do not post if you wish to bring up moral/ethical debates etc - I have made my decision and the ethics of what is involved will not change my mind.

I had an appt at the doctors this morning and have been referred to marie stopes for an appt tomorrow. The appt is 35 mins away by train, and i'm just so worried about what they will do, what they will say, what I should take, etc. It's a consultation - what does that mean?? Will it actually happen tomorrow or will I have to keep waiting???

Any help or advice or just general support anyone can give would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Different clinics operate in different ways. I would guess that tomorrow they will do an ultrasound to check how many weeks pregnant you are, possibly do an STI screen and discuss the options for termination with you. If a medical termination is possible, they MAY give you the first pill on the day and have you come back for the 2nd bit later, or they may need you to make an appointment on another day to give you time to think it over. For a surgical termination, I would imagine that they would have to make an appointment for you to come in for the procedure. Sorry not to be able to be more specific.

If you have any burning questions or concerns, I suggest that you write them down and take the paper with you - you'd be amazed what slips people's minds in a stressful situation like this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Mods - please keep post anon or delete, thanks.

I found out I was pregnant on Saturday. 2 positive home tests confirmed. I had been on the pill for 3 years, then decided to come off in June due to migraines and constant break through bleeding. Hormonal methods of contraception just arent for me. So since then, I have been using condoms only. I have had no period since coming off the pill, and was told by many doctors to 'not worry' about it. So naturally, when no period came, I was 'not worried.' For the last 3 weeks I have been experiencing constant nausea, off food, not my normal self. Took test on Sat - confirmed my worst fears. No question about keeping it - i'm a final year student with no income, and certainly in no mental state to bring up a child (I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for sometime now.) Please do not post if you wish to bring up moral/ethical debates etc - I have made my decision and the ethics of what is involved will not change my mind.

I had an appt at the doctors this morning and have been referred to marie stopes for an appt tomorrow. The appt is 35 mins away by train, and i'm just so worried about what they will do, what they will say, what I should take, etc. It's a consultation - what does that mean?? Will it actually happen tomorrow or will I have to keep waiting???

Any help or advice or just general support anyone can give would be much appreciated.
    I'm not speaking from personal experience here so please don't take it as gospel but to me consultation means the procedure won't take place on the day, it's just the initial discussion and you would go back at a later date for the procedure. Why not give the clinic a call to confirm?

Is there anyone who you could take with you for support? I also have an anxiety problem so understand having someone else to reassure you can make all the difference.

Try not to be too worried about what the clinic will say, they willl be especially trained to deal with this and should have a good bedside manner.

Although im male so obviously havent been pregnant my ex GF was at 15 and she had an abortion she took a pull from what she descried (i wasn't there btw) but that reacted with a MMR jab it therefore didn't work so had to have an injection with a 50% success rate (one which involved fainting and needing both ankles t be squeezed dont ask i didn't understand it, but we didn't tell anyone so its damn lucky i was there to squeeze her ankles)
    What im tryna say is dont worry about it im sure you'l be fine and it'l all work well.
    btw apologies for not really knowing what went on i never went to the doctors with her (her choice not mine) and plus we were only 15.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get the abortion. Yes, while its true that this is a painful experience for you, it is a fact that women and girls actually feel worse if they had an abortion apposed to if they gave birth. If you don't feel able to raise the child, put it up for adoption, this way a family who wants a child but is unable to have one naturally will be able to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP/IB HistoryNUT)
    Don't get the abortion. Yes, while its true that this is a painful experience for you, it is a fact that women and girls actually feel worse if they had an abortion apposed to if they gave birth. If you don't feel able to raise the child, put it up for adoption, this way a family who wants a child but is unable to have one naturally will be able to do so.
    She quite clearly stated 'Please do not post if you wish to bring up moral/ethical debates etc - I have made my decision and the ethics of what is involved will not change my mind.'

People like you annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    From online research I'm pretty sure you have a consultation appointment to go through talking about what'll happen to make sure you're fully informed, etc... And so they can sign a paper thingy as you need 2 doctors consent for the procedure I think? It'll be different everywhere though. There's different methods of abortion so unless it's been discussed with you fully you wouldn't be able to know the risks, etc... of specific procedures if they just went and did something like that without talking to you about it. You need to be fully informed to give consent I think?

The Marie Stopes website says:
    When someone goes to an abortion clinic they will see a doctor or nurse and possibly a counsellor if they wish to talk about their situation. Medical professionals need to determine the reasons for the person requesting an abortion and under the terms of the 1967 Abortion Act, two doctor’s signatures are needed for an abortion to take place. Women seeking an abortion will have a medical check and some tests, a scan to determine how many weeks pregnant they are and time to talk about the abortion treatment options. The abortion may be on the day of the consultation or arranged for another day
    info link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    She quite clearly stated 'Please do not post if you wish to bring up moral/ethical debates etc - I have made my decision and the ethics of what is involved will not change my mind.'

People like you annoy me.
    The young woman who started this thread was looking for advise and said she suffered from depression and anxiety disorder. The emotional effects of abortion on the woman involved make these conditions worse. I was not engaging in moral/ethical debate but stating the psychological impact the abortion would have on her.

ReputationRep:
    The young woman who started this thread was looking for advise and said she suffered from depression and anxiety disorder. The emotional effects of abortion on the woman involved make these conditions worse. I was not engaging in moral/ethical debate but stating the psychological impact the abortion would have on her.
    You do not know if she would get psychologically affected by an abortion. It just sounds like you are trying to convince her to not have an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say this but, you will regret this later. How a mother can kill her child is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    Umm... a bit late considering the OP posted this 4 weeks ago.

If you're around Anon, hope you are alright and that everything went well for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.