Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit strange, but I'm really wanting to apply to Cambridge for Geography next year, as in 2012 entry, unless i take a gap year.
    what can/should i be doing to try to help me? i know everyone says work hard and i've been doing that.
    I'm fairly sure my subjects are ok - Maths, Economics Geography and SPanish, will probably drop spanish for A2.
    Are there any books people can recommend that I could be reading - i'm more interested in Economic/social/human geography than volcanoes and global warming! though i do realise first year at cambridge i would have to do some physical geography.
    What kind of work experience could I do to help? is there any? or is it not really a work exp type of subject, like medicene? i spent two weeks at the planning department of the local council -sort of geography related.

any advice/tips much appreciated !
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    ????
    Try asking here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45

ReputationRep:
    ^ Ask there for specifics but what I would say is get as much work experience as you can. Even if its just a day somewhere and another day somewhere else. Then when you come to do your personal statement, you'll have loads to write about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates12)
    ^ Ask there for specifics but what I would say is get as much work experience as you can. Even if its just a day somewhere and another day somewhere else. Then when you come to do your personal statement, you'll have loads to write about.
    i know work experience is good - do you have any ideas as to what sort of work exp i could do? as nothing immediately comes to mind!

ReputationRep:
    **** all.

ReputationRep:
    Start looking at the course content for Geography at Cambridge. Go to the library and look at, and borrow a book about something that's in the course.
    Also start looking around at other uni's too. You might not even end up liking Cambridge when you go their on an open day. Shop around a bit.

ReputationRep:
    i know work experience is good - do you have any ideas as to what sort of work exp i could do? as nothing immediately comes to mind!
    Hmm, I'm not too hot on my geography knowledge, but volunteering, do D of E definitely, erm work at your local council?

Ask in a geography related thread on here, ask teachers at school and definitely ask at open days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates12)
    Hmm, I'm not too hot on my geography knowledge, but volunteering, do D of E definitely, erm work at your local council?

Ask in a geography related thread on here, ask teachers at school and definitely ask at open days.
    cool thanks. at the moment, I have done d of e bronze and trying to finish silver, if leader ever gets round to it, probably not, but i have started it!
    i do some volunteering by reading with some kids to help their reading, in my own time, not for d of e or college or anything, just cos they need some help with reading. not too keen on going back to city council, as i did it for two weeks, and it was quite good, but a bit repetitive after a while! did go on some site visits, (was in the planning department)

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily have to do something geography related - as long as you can talk about the transferable skills that you gained to show you are a well rounded person. On the other hand, you may be able to link geography to things which are not obviously related - I talked about my work experience at a chemical plant in my application to study computer science (I applied last year).
    Also, the oxbridge admissions tutors who I talked to said that the main thing extracurriculars show is that you can do loads of work, get good grades and do other stuff outside school - that way when they give you even more work to do they know you won't explode

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.