Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any other drummers on here? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If so, you guys should check out Travis Orbin on youtube. He used to play in the progressive metal band Periphery and he's a fantastic player. If you like "technical" drummers like Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati or Marco Minneman you should enjoy his playing. Even if you don't like that style of music, it would be silly to deny how talented he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjibYYhIsAk

Who knows, maybe at least a few of you might find that you really like djenty prog metal

ReputationRep:
    I'm a drummer too! I like what the guy in that video is playing too. ^^ Think I'll also look up the other drummers you suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XJofo)
    I'm a drummer too! I like what the guy in that video is playing too. ^^ Think I'll also look up the other drummers you suggested.
    Ahh nice one dude! I'm glad I could turn you on to some new drummers, let me know if you have any questions about Mr. Orbin - I got some of his online lessons and have a chat with him every now and again; he's a real gentleman! Be sure to check out his good friend Alex Rudinger too; he plays a simmilar setup to Travis they're both heavily influenced by Mike Mangini.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Senesence)
    Ahh nice one dude! I'm glad I could turn you on to some new drummers, let me know if you have any questions about Mr. Orbin - I got some of his online lessons and have a chat with him every now and again; he's a real gentleman! Be sure to check out his good friend Alex Rudinger too; he plays a simmilar setup to Travis they're both heavily influenced by Mike Mangini.
    I'll assume that dude can also be applied to females. :P And sure thing, I'll have a look through some of his other lessons- I bet I could learn quite a bit from him. Thanks! So does Travis play in a band? He's so good, I can't see how he could afford not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XJofo)
    I'll assume that dude can also be applied to females. :P And sure thing, I'll have a look through some of his other lessons- I bet I could learn quite a bit from him. Thanks! So does Travis play in a band? He's so good, I can't see how he could afford not to.
    My apologies for being so presumptuous! Yeah, he plays for a band called Sky Eats Airplane, he has a lot of videos on his channel of his interpretation of songs off of their first album (he replaced the drummer who recorded it) but he does a lot of session work too. Unfortunately, you'll have to purchase his lessons from his bigcartel store but I dont regret buying them. They contained a lot of practical knowledge and just a general insight to his practice methods. Although if you're strapped for the cash I'd recommend trying to get hold of something like "The New Breed" by Gary Chester or Thomas Lang's "Creative Control" they're fairly old so you might be able to find a used copy on ebay or something. Travis draws a fair amount of inspiration from the concepts explored in those books.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI

Now this is drumming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Pilgrim)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI

Now this is drumming.
    Hehe - it certainly is!. Thank you kindly for sharing, but I hope you're not trying to assert that this guy is better than Travis Orbin. They play completely different styles of music, comparing them would be just as pointless as me saying that Buddy Rich, JoJo Mayer and Vinnie Colaiuta are better than both Travis Orbin and the young man in the Hella video - speaking of which do you happen to know his name? I'd like to see some more of his playing.

ReputationRep:
    Come on boys, there's only one Mike Portnoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuYI...eature=related

Legend. and check out Dream Theater's The Dark Eternal Night, some of my favourite drumming are on that song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Senesence)
    Hehe - it certainly is!. Thank you kindly for sharing, but I hope you're not trying to assert that this guy is better than Travis Orbin. They play completely different styles of music, comparing them would be just as pointless as me saying that Buddy Rich, JoJo Mayer and Vinnie Colaiuta are better than both Travis Orbin and the young man in the Hella video - speaking of which do you happen to know his name? I'd like to see some more of his playing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Hill

Haha, nah man I just wanted to see what you thought, trust me I've already done this debate to death with my metal-drumming-hard-hitting-double-bass-pedal-thumping-blast-beating friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Pilgrim)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Hill

Haha, nah man I just wanted to see what you thought, trust me I've already done this debate to death with my metal-drumming-hard-hitting-double-bass-pedal-thumping-blast-beating friend.
    Why thank you kind sir! I try to keep a rather open mind, I listen to drummers as diverse as Derek Roddy and Gavin Harrison to Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, and Tony Williams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.