Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, so christmas is coming up and I've asked for a new laptop (however I am willing to contribute money towards it; I'm not that spoilt! :P) While I'm not too sure on the price range, my brother recently bought a MacBook Pro with a considerable donation from our parents and it wasn't even christmas, so I imagine anything up to and including the price of one of those.

So, here are the suggested questions from the sticky at the top:
    1. What's your budget?
    As above

2. What are you going to use it for?
    College/uni work, gaming, general stuff

3. Are you going to game with it, if so what games?
    Yes, World of Warcraft (oh yeahh) mainly, my friend has been telling me to get starcraft 2 so maybe that, some medieval 2 total war and battlefield 2142.

4. What warranty?
    Not fussy

5. What companies do you want?
    Don't mind

6. Any special software (e.g. CAD for engineering)
    No, however I'm studying a maths course next year so as long as it can run MAPLE (which probably every computer can...)

7. AMD or Intel? etc....etc....
    No idea

8. Size?
    Well my current monitor is very small so I'm used to it, however I'd say something in the middle range.

I was thinking of a MacBook or an Alienware laptop,or at least those have been suggested to me. Thank you for any ideas!!

ReputationRep:
    For your needs, I really say you don't need either a Macbook or Alienware. And an Alienware laptop is going to cost a lot!

For your needs, just go for anything with an i3, 3Gb RAM and maybe 320GB hard drive, but you could easily buy an external. Buy the best processer you can get, it's easy to upgrade the RAM and hard drive if you need to. Also, if you really want a Mac, does your maths software have a version for mac? Plus any not online games, you'd have to buy a version for mac.

ReputationRep:
    Choose a good processor. That's the most important thing. Intel i3, i5 or i7 is what you should go for. i7 is of course the best and therefore also the most expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramjams)
    Hey everyone, so christmas is coming up and I've asked for a new laptop (however I am willing to contribute money towards it; I'm not that spoilt! :P) While I'm not too sure on the price range, my brother recently bought a MacBook Pro with a considerable donation from our parents and it wasn't even christmas, so I imagine anything up to and including the price of one of those.

So, here are the suggested questions from the sticky at the top:
    1. What's your budget?
    As above

2. What are you going to use it for?
    College/uni work, gaming, general stuff

3. Are you going to game with it, if so what games?
    Yes, World of Warcraft (oh yeahh) mainly, my friend has been telling me to get starcraft 2 so maybe that, some medieval 2 total war and battlefield 2142.

4. What warranty?
    Not fussy

5. What companies do you want?
    Don't mind

6. Any special software (e.g. CAD for engineering)
    No, however I'm studying a maths course next year so as long as it can run MAPLE (which probably every computer can...)

7. AMD or Intel? etc....etc....
    No idea

8. Size?
    Well my current monitor is very small so I'm used to it, however I'd say something in the middle range.

I was thinking of a MacBook or an Alienware laptop,or at least those have been suggested to me. Thank you for any ideas!!
    Macs are great but I would not get one if you are wanting to do gaming as the choices are severely limited. If I were you I would go with an Asus or Toshiba as (alongside Apple) these have the best reliability ratings. As the others said, go for an i3/5/7 processor, 4GB of RAM and consider saving a bit more and getting an SSD - you can get a 256GB one for about £250 on ebay and you will see huge speed improvements. Another bonus is a graphics card... especially if you are spending £600+.

Dont overlook other things besides specs. Think about what you will be doing on a daily basis and consider battery life, weight, screen and laptop size, available ports, and of course appearance.

I have been out of the market for a a good few months now so I would not want to advise a particular laptop but I hope that helps... :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, though i'm still a bit unsure on what to look at

I'm not sure what all this i3/i5/i7 stuff really means but if higher numbers = better then I guess I can understand

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.