Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Attached i have the h1 nmr spectra of styrene (CH2=CH-C6H5) please can someone classify the peaks according to where they came from in the molecule?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Any ideas yourself?
    i think maybe the ch is the doublet as it sees ch2 but what i don't get is why there is a quartet as i cannot see anywhere in the structure where a proton can see 3 hydrogens

ReputationRep:
    look at the structure. The phenyl protons are pretty obvious, which only leaves 3 left to assign. Think about the coupling constants, there are 3 double doublets.

Remember how double bonds effect coupling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenicey)
    i think maybe the ch is the doublet as it sees ch2 but what i don't get is why there is a quartet as i cannot see anywhere in the structure where a proton can see 3 hydrogens
    Is this for A-level? The rules you learn at A-level won't let you explain the splittings here :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Is this for A-level? The rules you learn at A-level won't let you explain the splittings here :nah:
    true, you've either got a ******* of a teacher or this is extension work.

I did stuff like this in uni Chem.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Although you are expected to understand geometric isomerism, so it's not a huge leap to see the non-equivalent environments in an alkene for NMR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Although you are expected to understand geometric isomerism, so it's not a huge leap to see the non-equivalent environments in an alkene for NMR.
    When you only know the n+1 rule it might be, to be honest, especially when you need to start talking about the magnitude of J and some more complicated splittings such as double doublets and such

Happy to go through it, but just wanted to make sure the OP knows that it's not really A-level material (if they're doing A-level/equivalent).
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    When you only know the n+1 rule it might be, to be honest, especially when you need to start talking about the magnitude of J and some more complicated splittings such as double doublets and such

Happy to go through it, but just wanted to make sure the OP knows that it's not really A-level material (if they're doing A-level/equivalent).
    Agreed, the degree of sophistication is beyond A' level, but an A' level student should be able to recognise that the protons are in different environments and likely to produce a more complex splitting pattern.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.