Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit strange, but I'm really wanting to apply to Cambridge for Geography next year, as in 2012 entry, unless i take a gap year.
    what can/should i be doing to try to help me? i know everyone says work hard and i've been doing that.
    I'm fairly sure my subjects are ok - Maths, Economics Geography and SPanish, will probably drop spanish for A2.
    Are there any books people can recommend that I could be reading - i'm more interested in Economic/social/human geography than volcanoes and global warming! though i do realise first year at cambridge i would have to do some physical geography.
    What kind of work experience could I do to help? is there any? or is it not really a work exp type of subject, like medicene? i spent two weeks at the planning department of the local council -sort of geography related.

any advice/tips much appreciated !
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    i'll take that as nothing! :P

ReputationRep:
    You should find your own interests + develop...not what others think.......

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend Eton Summer School

ReputationRep:
    There's not much real relevant work experience that they'll expect you to have done.

Keep up with stuff that's going on, even if the human geography interests you more if you get an interview they'll be asking you about everything. So keep track of global warming, floods and stuff in the news. As well as the human geography development/immigration stuff.

Any travel you've done, even if it was with family etc, talk about something interesting geographically that was there when you went.

Reading is mainly journals rather than textbooks, so you may have a hard time getting hold of them unless your school has access. But keep an eye on relevant articles in Science/Nature/ whatever it is human geographers look at if you can...

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Keep up with the news. Anything that may seem like physical geography (e.g: floods, earthquakes and natural disasters) are going to have a human geography side to them, such as the effects and how that will affect the population, socially and economically, particularly with LEDCs and their development. Examples of this currently would be Haiti one year on from the earthquake, and the floods in Australia. Even though you're mainly interested in human geography, you'll need to know the physical side too.
    You could read journals and magazines like national geographic.
    As for work experience, there isn't really much you can do. Working at the council for two weeks is a good idea anyway as it provides you with some sort of work experience in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    i'll take that as nothing! :P

After 15 mins, I wouldn't be too worried about lack of responses. Work council work exp is good. Try doing some form of volunteer work, or community service in your spare time to boost your application

ReputationRep:
    ok i'll chill a bit!!! :P
    i do some reading with 3 primary aged kids, once a week, for an hour and a half. i wouldnt call it voluntary work, i just want to help them read a bit better, but i guess it is voluntary work?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.