Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents are both civil servants, earning a comfy amount, but we're not fantastically well off.

I'm a Welsh student, going to study Midwifery 2011 at BCU where I'll (obviously) be living in. (Bit of a trek from Wales ).

I've just been researching student loans etc online and am a bit confused - will I be entitled to a loan doing my course?

I understand I may not be entitled to a bursary depending on my parents income, and I don't have to pay tuition fees.

Would anyone have any advice? Anyone been on this course before, what financial help did you get?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    My parents are both civil servants, earning a comfy amount, but we're not fantastically well off.

I'm a Welsh student, going to study Midwifery 2011 at BCU where I'll (obviously) be living in. (Bit of a trek from Wales ).

I've just been researching student loans etc online and am a bit confused - will I be entitled to a loan doing my course?

I understand I may not be entitled to a bursary depending on my parents income, and I don't have to pay tuition fees.

Would anyone have any advice? Anyone been on this course before, what financial help did you get?

Thanks in advance!
    As Midwifery at BCU is a degree programme you will be entitled to the following:
    • The minimum reduced student loan (which you have to pay back) = £3234
    • A means-tested NHS bursary (which you DON'T pay back) = depends on parents income
    • Tuition fees are automatically paid by the NHS

The student loan and NHS bursary must be applied for. Unfortunately NHS students are not eligible for the Student Finance maintenance grant or any university offered bursaries.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    As Midwifery at BCU is a degree programme you will be entitled to the following:
    • The minimum reduced student loan (which you have to pay back) = £3234
    • A means-tested NHS bursary (which you DON'T pay back) = depends on parents income
    • Tuition fees are automatically paid by the NHS

The student loan and NHS bursary must be applied for. Unfortunately NHS students are not eligible for the Student Finance maintenance grant or any university offered bursaries.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you so much for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.