Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To put it straight forward over the last few years ive wanted a job in games programming and always has been somewhat of an ambition of mine. Only problem is after speaking to some experienced individuals i have lost my plan on whether its worth knuckling down into a specialized subject like programming for games or maybe stepping back and doing a degree in something more broad knowledge wise then just becoming specialized at one thing and limiting myself, then after that coarse go on to do a specialized coarse afterwards.

Sorry for rambling on but im seriously lost to be honest.

So thanks for the advice in advance thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The most interesting part of Computing for me is probably programming, which is strange for some people. I really want to have a programming job when I graduate, even better if it's programming computer games, but to keep my options open, I opted to apply for Computer Science.

I've read some games companies prefer you to have a Computer Science degree, rather than just a Games programming orientated one, because it gives a wider understanding of computers etc. It's really up to you but I recommend doing Computer Science, just because of the wider range of jobs available after graduation, it will be very unlucky that you're stuck for work.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been advised this instead of jumping into it feet first kind of thing just wanted someone elses perspective cause sometimes teachers are kinda bias for instance one of my 3 teachers is trying to steer me away from programming altogether because hes a website guy himself me however got bored of websites especially on the lower level stuff but it does get gradually more captivating but if i was to do things it would either be either programming or maybe go into another side of development just others seem to branch you down too much on there own.

So i really do ramble but basically what i mean to say is thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Quick search on the internet turned up this link : http://www.develop-online.net/news/2...design-degrees

It's like 3 years old, but still really relevant. If you look at games companies' sites, maybe in the FAQ section, they usually mention Computer Science/Software Development degrees being better than Games programming when asked. I'm off to bed now so I won't reply again now, and I'm glad to help!

ReputationRep:
    Wait, coarse? Or course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Wait, coarse? Or course?
    So you have 3000 posts and still don't know what a useful post is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh398)
    So you have 3000 posts and still don't know what a useful post is?
    And yet, I am still here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    And yet, I am still here.
    That's not really relevant, and I'm not gonna argue anymore in this thread. You're obviously just an immature jerk who has nothing better to do than going around TSR correcting people's grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh398)
    That's not really relevant, and I'm not gonna argue anymore in this thread. You're obviously just an immature jerk who has nothing better to do than going around TSR correcting people's grammar.
    Haha, calm down, there's no hurt in correcting grammar. Plus, I'm helping the guy out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.