Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi tsr

I am 21 and i know i should be able to tel my parents i smoke but i cant help but fell tey may throw me out or something.
    I started about 2 months ago before i was told i had depression and it helps me if only for a few mins to de stress me etc. Yes, I know its bad for me and i dont want a lecture. I just want to know hows best for me to tell them?

I am hoping they would respect my honesty.
    They both used to smoke when i was really young but quit. However my mum found out my dad has started again recently and made him chose between her or the **** so i think he's stopped again now, this is why i am worried.

Any experiences?

ReputationRep:
    why do you need to tell them at all?

ReputationRep:
    You're 21, hence they should recognise that and respect you enough to make that decision - having taken in all positive and negative factors. However, it seems you still live on their property? In which case, this is the only real obstacle...

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I know your gonna think, why the hell is this girl goin on... But plz try and stop, wouldn't it be better?

Why did u start, because of depressin? Aint there other things you could do to make yourself feel better?

:ditto: to abbii

And I know exactly how you feel with it. If you want me to be perfectly honest its taking all my will power to not reach out for a cigarette, go outside and smoke it for the same reason as you do. They don't really need to know. Although I would recommend you find something else to "de-stress"

Have you been diagnosed by your GP? Have they offered you any treatment (as in not anti-depressants, thats NOT a treatment, just something to help you cope, more like CBT or another therapy)

ReputationRep:
      Stop smoking, then you wont have to tell them.

ReputationRep:
      Spark one up and watch their faces twist in horror.

Or don't tell them?

yeah I still live at home as I commute to uni, however i wouldn't smoke in the house, i'd obviously do it outside and not in front of them if possible.

abbii, I ned to tell them as it would be worse if someone else did, plus i don't particularly want to hide it from them and keep having to try and disguise the smell. (They have been away the past 3 weeks so haven't smelt it)

ReputationRep:
      You: Mum, dad, i have something to tell you...I'm Gay
      Them: WHAT THE ****!
      You: lol, just kidding, I do smoke though.

ReputationRep:
      you ******* quit now you dirty scum of the earth

(Original post by Loz17)
      :ditto: to abbii

And I know exactly how you feel with it. If you want me to be perfectly honest its taking all my will power to not reach out for a cigarette, go outside and smoke it for the same reason as you do. They don't really need to know. Although I would recommend you find something else to "de-stress"

Have you been diagnosed by your GP? Have they offered you any treatment (as in not anti-depressants, thats NOT a treatment, just something to help you cope, more like CBT or another therapy)

Yes, I am on anti depressents.

ReputationRep:
      dude why tell them? I've been smoking for a year now and they don't know.

(Original post by Anonymous)
        Yes, I am on anti depressents.
        Have they offered counselling and/or CBT though? Thats a treatment. I'm on AD's too. Have been since January and I know full well they do **** all really. Just make the day just that little bit easier.

I understand it is difficult to kick the habit too. I started smoking at 16 due to depression (I think, wasn't diagnosed then) and stopped for 3 years but moment I had a relapse at uni I started smoking again but only strangely while I am drunk. After 3 years of not touching one to suddenly starting again has got to be proof of how difficult it is and I'm not even addicted!

I'd say talk you your GP when you go for a review about CBT. For now (coz I'm certain they will tell you to try this 1st) try moodgym which is an online CBT course. Can't promise it will work and you may find it is completely unhelpful but I've noticed they will shove this onto you 1st so try it now and if it doesn't work at least you can tell them it doesn't work!

what is cbt? sorry if that sounds stupid.
        I don't want alternatives really, I just want to be able to tell them without being thrown out. Though at the end of the day it is my decision and wouldnt affect them.

(Original post by Anonymous)
          what is cbt? sorry if that sounds stupid.
          I don't want alternatives really, I just want to be able to tell them without being thrown out. Though at the end of the day it is my decision and wouldnt affect them.
          They may have their reasons for hating it. Maybe bring up what they'd think of it into convosation but not saying you do it. then make a decision there.

CBT = cognitive behavioural Therapy

ReputationRep:
          mum, dad *deep breath* I smoke

job done, then *run away*

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.