Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    basically for my first year at uni i lived in halls with some peopple i got on with, second year we moved into a 7 bed house together, but basically we've all fallen out! so i live at home in leeds wth my family as often as possible, most of the time thurs - mon morning!
    so next year i'm planning on living in leeds city centre (near the train station) with my boyfriend of four years .
    my dad basically got fed up ofme tonight and said in a really horrible way
    "when are you gonna live with friends in sheffield? you're always here, you're meant to look back on uni and love it"

but basically i've been there for two years, yeah i liek the course, the coursemates are lovely but i just don't wanna live there at all , im not some recluse but i don't go our partying every night or every week, so i'd rather live with my boyfriend and commute in (40 mins) 3 days a week.

is it unfair on my dad to be saying stuff to me like that?

ReputationRep:
    He's entitled to his opinion, as are you.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think he's just worried you'll look back on your uni years and regret not living with your mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Nah, I think he's just worried you'll look back on your uni years and regret not living with your mates.
    but i don't understand why he'd think that, i lived with them the first year and still hated it! i can't cope with messy kitchens etc. but i suppose at least i got on with them then, this year however we got on for amonth but even then it seemed tense and now basically all the girls ***** about each other behind their backs and i cant be bothered with it. therefore making my second year absolutely horrible!

is it stupid to want to live with my boyfriend, honestly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyrae)
    but i don't understand why he'd think that, i lived with them the first year and still hated it! i can't cope with messy kitchens etc. but i suppose at least i got on with them then, this year however we got on for amonth but even then it seemed tense and now basically all the girls ***** about each other behind their backs and i cant be bothered with it. therefore making my second year absolutely horrible!

I never said it was. Nor did i say I don't agree with you not living away. Just what maybe I thought he thinks. I don't think there's anything wrong with living with your boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    He has your best interests at heart.
    However, you're old enough to make your own choices. If you really think you'll be happier commuting and living with your boyfriend, then do that.

ReputationRep:
    It's not unfair. He's just trying to push you into the direction you'll prefer more when you look back in the future.

ReputationRep:
    but Sheffield is a lovely place to live. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    basically for my first year at uni i lived in halls with some peopple i got on with, second year we moved into a 7 bed house together, but basically we've all fallen out! so i live at home in leeds wth my family as often as possible, most of the time thurs - mon morning!
    so next year i'm planning on living in leeds city centre (near the train station) with my boyfriend of four years .
    my dad basically got fed up ofme tonight and said in a really horrible way
    "when are you gonna live with friends in sheffield? you're always here, you're meant to look back on uni and love it"

but basically i've been there for two years, yeah i liek the course, the coursemates are lovely but i just don't wanna live there at all , im not some recluse but i don't go our partying every night or every week, so i'd rather live with my boyfriend and commute in (40 mins) 3 days a week.

is it unfair on my dad to be saying stuff to me like that?
    Some people can't even move out! be grateful!

ReputationRep:

Nope, I do it and commute 40mins a day like you're suggesting.

I think it's just a bit of an odd idea for parents to get their heads around, I know it was for mine when the subject first came up but fotunately they came round to it eventually. I think their main concern was me not getting my work done etc.

Like other people have said though, you're old enough to make your own decisions. I'm sure your dad just has your best interests at heart and wants you to be ok.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.