The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamiFFXIII
Because they're racist Freemasons who have genetics of those who initiated the slave trade and are still bitter that blacks now for some considered humans who intellectually as capable if not more than white people. (im not black!!)

What the hell, does Freemasonry have to do with that?
Yes, the statistics look awful at first. But black students apply disproportionately for the most oversubscribed courses, which would explain it.
Oxford’s figures show 452 black students in 2009 achieving three A grades at A level (excluding General Studies) against 29,000 white students.

In 2009, the total number of black people admitted was actually 27, out of a total of 221 black applicants, an overall success rate of 12.2%. While this is considerably lower than the success rate for white students, it is higher than that of students of Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin.

Oxford argues that black pupils with three As are far more likely to apply than are white pupils of similar ability, and when they do apply they tend to pick the most oversubscribed subjects, where success rates are lower. 29% of black applicants in 2009 wanted to read medicine, where there are eight applicants for every place. Only 7% of white applicants applied to read medicine at Oxford. 44% of black applicants applied for Oxford's 3 most oversubscribed courses, against 17% of white applicants.

Chemistry admits 40% of applicants, Classics 45%, Geology 46.2%, Materials Science 44.5%, Theology 38.1%. But PPE admits only 18% of applicants, medicine 13.6%, and economics and management 8.9%.

David Lammy accuses Oxford of failing to reach out to black students, but last year nearly half of all black students who got three A grades applied to Oxford, against around 28% of comparable white students. So it's not really surprising that their success rate was lower.

I also found this:

"If black students really faced insuperable odds to get university places, you would expect only the exceptional to succeed, which would be reflected in a better performance in finals. But a study by the Higher Education Funding Council published earlier this year found that between 2002 and 2006 just 3.5 per cent of black students got first-class degrees, against 11 per cent of white students. Just over a third of black students (37 per cent) got a first or a 2:1, compared to 62 per cent of white students."

So it's not as simple as selecting a few statistics and accusing a university of racial discrimination. It's unlikely that almost every admissions tutor is a racist, and Oxbridge is making efforts to include students from all backgrounds.
Reply 302
To be fair the majority of Black applicants apply to one of the most competetive courses at Oxbridge which is medicine. Most white applicants apply for the artsy subjects.
Reply 303
Original post by nazirard
To be fair the majority of Black applicants apply to one of the most competetive courses at Oxbridge which is medicine. Most white applicants apply for the artsy subjects.

Where are the staistics for this, why should we take word of mouth of these professors?!If that's the case lets see the numbers...
Original post by urmyeah
Where are the staistics for this, why should we take word of mouth of these professors?!If that's the case lets see the numbers...

Read my statistics a couple of posts above. Oxford also has admissions statistics on its website.
Original post by Krebs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment

My friend who's black has an offer for chemistry there and didn't even get good GCSE grades.
My other friend who's black had an offer for chem engineering and got a C in chemistry AS. This person missed his offer and got a B in physics.
Original post by ikoghoo
This is all rubbish. People saying things like black people aren't well educated! Please can we stop talking rubbish. OP was talking rubbish to start with and everyone joined in.
I got rejected from Oxford last year, my race didn't even pop into my mind as a reason. (My mediocre BMAT did)
Maybe it's because I come from a well educated family, but the only black people I know are educated. Both sides of the family, engineers, doctors, bankers. Also I know a black person studying medicine at oxford right now, 2nd year.
Minority group, minority applicants, that's all.
Race card is not acceptable. You weren't good enough, get over it.

That's why I didn't apply especially for medicine there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 307
Original post by alicebytemperley
Read my statistics a couple of posts above. Oxford also has admissions statistics on its website.

Yes, I read the post indeed, but I want to know how it is all well and good to have vague statistics and where on earth is recent data form 2010?!

What I am intrigued to find out is how many black students applied for courses post 2010?
Also the types of GCSE'S and the grades attained and AS level?
How many met the standard requirements to get into the courses out of the total that applied; This will be repeated for each and every course at Oxford/Cambridge.
The black people that did get into Oxbridge where they home students/ Internationals?
Did they attend an independent school or comprehensive?

It really should not take them that long to try and attain this sort of information quickly if less than black 500 students applied.It's atrocious to think that only 1-2/200 black students make it on to the course.:rolleyes:
They're dividing the black people from white just by reporting this. Why are they comparing them to argue against exclusion?
Reply 309
Original post by alicebytemperley

I also found this:

"If black students really faced insuperable odds to get university places, you would expect only the exceptional to succeed, which would be reflected in a better performance in finals. But a study by the Higher Education Funding Council published earlier this year found that between 2002 and 2006 just 3.5 per cent of black students got first-class degrees, against 11 per cent of white students. Just over a third of black students (37 per cent) got a first or a 2:1, compared to 62 per cent of white students.".

Well if you think that blacks on whole only make up 2% of the population what do you expect?
Original post by lonely14
It's not racist. It's about the quality of the candidates. Lets admit it, black people tend to be less academic on the whole.

What do you think? :holmes:

You're right to be honest. I'm black and I've experienced it. Then again I go to a sixth form were the average A level results are CCD
Original post by urmyeah
Yes, I read the post indeed, but I want to know how it is all well and good to have vague statistics and where on earth is recent data form 2010?!

What I am intrigued to find out is how many black students applied for courses post 2010?
Also the types of GCSE'S and the grades attained and AS level?
How many met the standard requirements to get into the courses out of the total that applied; This will be repeated for each and every course at Oxford/Cambridge.
The black people that did get into Oxbridge where they home students/ Internationals?
Did they attend an independent school or comprehensive?

It really should not take them that long to try and attain this sort of information quickly if less than black 500 students applied.It's atrocious to think that only 1-2/200 black students make it on to the course.:rolleyes:

The statistics aren't vague: they're perfectly clear, unlike these woolly and misinformed accusations of racism. Seeing as Oxford hasn't even finished accepting applicants for 2011, it would be ridiculous to put up half finished admissions statistics on their website. It's not a conspiracy. The number of students who were accepted with three As at A Level, and less than that, is on their website, as is information about the percentage of students from state and independent schools. I think it would be pretty pointless/pandering to ill informed accusations/embarrassing for black applicants if their circumstances were published in detail. Oxford admits students regardless of their backgrounds and the sheer number of students achieving AAA means that many will lose out, especially in the more competitive courses.

People are so quick to jump on the bandwagon with words like 'atrocious', despite the statistics, which are perfectly explainable. Do you really think that nearly every admissions tutor in every college in Oxford is racist?
Oxbridge discriminate in many ways.
Original post by urmyeah
Well if you think that blacks on whole only make up 2% of the population what do you expect?

Yes, but what they're saying is that, out of all black students, only 3.5% for first class degrees. Out of all white students, 11% got first class degrees. So actually, it would make sense if Oxford ended up taking more white students - because more white students did better. Oxford is not there to reflect society: it's there to take the best. The only grey area is the state/private one, where more state school students do better at university than their private school counterparts, despite getting lower A Level results.
Reply 314
The guy probably flopped the LNAT? I'm of Bangladeshi origin and I applied for PPE at Oxford. Decent grades and probably did okay on the TSA, and hence was invited to interview. Didn't get an offer, but I don't think it was because I'm Asian at all, just wasn't good enough. Simple really.
Reply 315
A black [somali] girl from my ['urban-comprehensive'] school got an offer from Camebridge for Natural Sciences. She's one of those full blown religious girls that wear headscarfs and those long skirts so I guess when she went for her interview:undefined: she was obviously not discriminated against.

This is Camebrdige though..
Reply 316
Original post by urmyeah

You are such a moron its hard to describe just how much of a moron you are.
Reply 317
Original post by Aj12
You are such a moron its hard to describe just how much of a moron you are.

Please explain to me how I am a moron, Oh wait you wait you cant maybe because your stupid.Bit of a cheap shot spouting abuse and you can't even explain yourself:wink:
Reply 318
Original post by urmyeah
Please explain to me how I am a moron, Oh wait you wait you cant maybe because your stupid.Bit of a cheap shot spouting abuse and you can't even explain yourself:wink:

Well I generally thought from the bolded part of the quote you would be able to tell. Seems even basic understanding of anything is beyond your very limited grasp.

First whats wrong with the date already there? Why demand 2010 date?

Second there is normally a year gap between data. 2010 data will likely only come out later this year.

Your demanding data when there has only been about 3 months to fully process and create statistics then put them on the site all of which takes time.
Original post by Aj12
First whats wrong with the date already there? Why demand 2010 date?

Second there is normally a year gap between data. 2010 data will likely only come out later this year.

Your demanding data when there has only been about 3 months to fully process and create statistics then put them on the site all of which takes time.

Exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending