Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We're currently in occupation of Lower Parliament hall as part of the wider anti-cuts movement. We now number around 30, almost double the number we had just an hour ago! The Uni had restricted free movement, however with great difficulty we've managed to get supporters in. If you support us the best thing you can do at the moment is to spread the word and make sure people know what's going on. Below is the official press release...

Press Release, D6 afternoon
    Distribute widely

ST ANDREWS, FIFE– The Occupation of Parliament Hall continues unabated and has been receiving a steady influx of support regardless of the no-entry policy implemented by the University.

Defiant students reaffirmed the legitimacy of their protest in the face of The Universities attempts to quell it from its birth. Students entered throughout the day in imaginative ways with 3rd year student Emma Lecavlier saying ”what kind of system are we in where students must protest to learn.” Students are demonstrating against education cuts and their Principal’s statements in favour of the Browne Report.

As students entered, discussions expanded and included debates in the afternoon where we saw the visits of the Rector, Kevin Dunion, and two UCU staff representatives who showed great solidarity and support for the protest, and sought to integrate more of the community into the St Andrews anticuts movement Sabbaticals from the Student’s Association also chose to come in person to show their support as occupiers continued to debate and request discussions with the University regarding their demands.

The Principal’s Office remained adamant throughout discussions in the afternoon, that they would negotiate on none of the points raised by the occupation. Clara Low, 2nd year student states, ”Morale is up despite the attempts of management to quell it.” Meanwhile, Paul Donnachie stated ”the unity within the occupation has been an encouraging example for the wider cuts.” This has been helped by the University’s assurance to students that they would face no victimisation at all as a result of protest actions.

Nonetheless, the Occupation has run into serious problems relating to the lack of access and the intransigence of the University to discuss the demands. In addition, the University has locally disconnected internet access and all heating whilst all the while supposedly supporting ‘freedom of speech.’ The Occupiers encouraged donations of food and warm sleeping goods, urging students and staff to join them in their protest during the following days following days.

ReputationRep:
    Stop disrupting university proceedings for selfish causes. If you have a grievance, complain properly rather than taking drastic measures that give us all a bad reputation.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    oh no, the st andrews undergrads are protesting.

whatever shall we do

ReputationRep:
    A bit rich using the word "occupation", as it has powerful connotations that in no way resemble your mopey, immature and ill founded judgments on economical issues

At this time, I'm more glad than ever that I transferred away from St Andrews.

Grow up. You're not impressing anyone, you self important hippies. I genuinely hope you all get expelled over this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes, return of teh occupatorz.

Your statement reads as totally biased towards your cause, you should give it more balance if you want people to take it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Stop disrupting university proceedings for selfish causes. If you have a grievance, complain properly rather than taking drastic measures that give us all a bad reputation.
    How the **** are anti-cuts actions selfish? Surely if anything they're the opposite, seeking to maintain wide access to University. Moron. Also regarding complaining properly, we would be completely ignored by the university, as precedent has shown. Concerning "disrupting University proceedings", we've deliberaterly occupied Parliament Hall as this isn't a lecture theatre or used for tutorials, therefore we wont be disrupting students in any major way.

I should have known better than to expect any support from TSR.

"A bit rich using the word "occupation", as it has powerful connotations that in no way resemble your mopey, immature and ill founded judgments on economical issues

Dunno how to requote, but the use of the term occupation concerns the fact we have taken a room and are holding it, hence, it is under our occupation. Concerning the notion of this occupation being mopey and immature, firstly this is a very upbeat occupation, no moping allowed, poor for moral. Beyond that direct action is a worldwide tactic, and one advocated by people with a better understanding of the world than you or I will ever have. If you wish to come and discuss our economic judgements, we will be in parliament hall the next couple of days so feel free to come to the window and have a chat, sure people will be happy to speak to you about any concerns you may have.

Since I posted the first message we've encouragingly had tonnes of messages of support, in the UK student groups in;

Edinburgh,
    Glasgow,
    Leeds,
    Falmouth,
    Bath,
    Bristol,
    London (3),
    Manchester and a few others have been in contact with messages of support, we've also had a lot of individuals messaging in with support, and contacting the Uni management to get the radiators turned on throughout last night when we were left in the cold.

More surprisingly we've had international messages of support and solidarity from Greece and Puerto Rico (students there have been in occupation for 2 months!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    At this time, I'm more glad than ever that I transferred away from St Andrews.

Grow up. You're not impressing anyone, you self important hippies. I genuinely hope you all get expelled over this.
    Also we don't want to impress people, this was about making cuts an issue on campus, with a view to wider action and involvement. For me at least. Also I'm not a hippy, pure casual stylez this way, terrace fashion . Wishing that people were expelled over an action at a University you don't attend, in a town a presume you don't live in, involving people you don't know probably says more about your status as a malicious prick than about the nature of our occupation

ReputationRep:
    The sheer fact that you're resorting to childish insults to counter sensible arguments shows that this is doomed to fail - and furthermore you're giving all of us a bad name with this ridiculous stunt. I'm against tuition fee rises too, but I don't have to sit shivering in Lower Parliament Hall at midnight in -4C temperatures to express it.

I won't be attending the Dundee sit-in, no. I have better things to do, like, you know, studying and working - those thing students occasionally do when they're not protesting or drinking. The fee rises don't affect me one jot because I'm a fully funded MSc student who is leaving university forever next year.

Also we don't want to impress people
    Good. If that was your aim, you have failed in truly monumental fashion.

this was about making cuts an issue on campus, with a view to wider action and involvement.
    For me at least.
    LULZ, Ye Olde Egotisme.

Wishing that people were expelled over an action at a University you don't attend, in a town a presume you don't live in, involving people you don't know probably says more about your status as a malicious prick than about the nature of our occupation
    You'd be quite right there As for the rest, you're going to have to try harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    The sheer fact that you're resorting to childish insults to counter sensible arguments shows that this is doomed to fail - and furthermore you're giving all of us a bad name with this ridiculous stunt. I'm against tuition fee rises too, but I don't have to sit shivering in Lower Parliament Hall at midnight in -4C temperatures to express it.
    Firstly, I am me, not the occupation. Please don't take me as a representative. However I didn't just reply with insults, also put my thoughts in response to arguments down as well. You've failed to elaborate on how you feel this is giving us "all" a bad name? Could you also let me know if you feel the same way regarding all of the numerous occupations which have occured up and down the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul92)
    Firstly, I am me, not the occupation. Please don't take me as a representative. However I didn't just reply with insults, also put my thoughts in response to arguments down as well. You've failed to elaborate on how you feel this is giving us "all" a bad name? Could you also let me know if you feel the same way regarding all of the numerous occupations which have occured up and down the country?
    I work to fund my education. I don't kick off when a government that we as a people elected does something I don't like and that frankly I can't change except for when an election next comes up. Yes I do oppose all occupation as it's a drastic measure, it achieves nothing, and it just galvanises the public opinion of "lazy whiny students".

Because of your childish responses to some of the posts made on here, that's how you're giving us all a bad name. You're part of the occupation, so that makes you the occupation - deindividuation.

Seriously, continue your little tirade. It won't change anything.

And note that I am also against the tuition fees and education cuts, but it's a bit late to do anything about it now.

By the way, Paul, the Dundee University library sit-in has been organised in full cooperation with library staff and the security team responsible for the place. The students up here are not planning on spontaneously breaking into a restricted area like you have done.

For that alone, you should be kicked out and made an example of.

ReputationRep:
    Apolgies for the retard and prick comments. I feel like we've gone through a lot to get here and to secure our situation here, and for people to come out and criticise what we're doing without any kind of constructive bent and worse to plainly insult us without any justification is annoying. I accept though that throwing insults about regardless of whether they're backed up by actual opinions completely devalues my point.
    LGF92 you say you work to fun your education, so do I, not in St Andrews but I have a christmas of 2 40 hour weeks to look forward to when I go home. Fun times. However I feel that it's important for the government to do aid students, as fundamentally, and I know it's a piece of cliched rhetoric, education is a right and not a priviledge. People who are saying they are against education cuts however rubbishing what we are doing in my opinion have to logical leg to stand on. Our protest is not destructive or disruptive, therefore unless you vitriolically disagree with our stance on the issue, I honestly can't see how you can be so violently against us, to the point of calling us selfish (a point with even less logical justification, we aren't gaining from this in the short term, apart from the good banter and chocolate ). It's just that whilst we oppose cuts we aren't willing to sit back and wait until the next election, whereby the precedent will already be set, and even if the next govt. was labour tuition fees would be unlikely to change (labour don't really like repealing tory decisions, as we saw from 1997-2001), rather we want to actually do something, regardless of success it just doesn't feel right not to take part in a wider student movement against cuts. Democracy transcends voting every so often.

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious to know why you think another occupation will do any good for your cause. The last one two years ago didn't exactly get those who occupied LCH what they wanted. All the majority of people in St Andrews see is a bunch of people who are occupying, not for a cause, but for the sake of making trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Apolgies for the retard and prick comments. I feel like we've gone through a lot to get here and to secure our situation here, and for people to come out and criticise what we're doing without any kind of constructive bent and worse to plainly insult us without any justification is annoying. I accept though that throwing insults about regardless of whether they're backed up by actual opinions completely devalues my point.
    LGF92 you say you work to fun your education, so do I, not in St Andrews but I have a christmas of 2 40 hour weeks to look forward to when I go home. Fun times. However I feel that it's important for the government to do aid students, as fundamentally, and I know it's a piece of cliched rhetoric, education is a right and not a priviledge. People who are saying they are against education cuts however rubbishing what we are doing in my opinion have to logical leg to stand on. Our protest is not destructive or disruptive, therefore unless you vitriolically disagree with our stance on the issue, I honestly can't see how you can be so violently against us, to the point of calling us selfish (a point with even less logical justification, we aren't gaining from this in the short term, apart from the good banter and chocolate ). It's just that whilst we oppose cuts we aren't willing to sit back and wait until the next election, whereby the precedent will already be set, and even if the next govt. was labour tuition fees would be unlikely to change (labour don't really like repealing tory decisions, as we saw from 1997-2001), rather we want to actually do something, regardless of success it just doesn't feel right not to take part in a wider student movement against cuts. Democracy transcends voting every so often.
    so your protest notes cite Liouse Richardson as being responsible for diminishing responsibilities here - the basic fact is that she can do absolutely nothing about education cuts. Do you honestly think she is in favour of them?

The real problem with your protest is that it marginalises the issue. The majority of students agree that education cuts are probably a bad thing and that the governements business model for education is a bit crazy, but by ramming yourself in LPH with a bunch of leftsocers and camapaigning as if you are an oppressed minority, the issue loses credibility. What you should have done is helped push through more widespread action from within the union (indeed, it would appear you have there support).

Locking yourself in LPH is disruptive to the very thing you're trying to improve - St Mary's Library was shut yesterday etc I think you guys are either incredibly stupid to think your actions will have any effect or more likely are just protesting for the sake of it - I wish the university would step up their action, personally I would set an out date after which all protesters permission to proceed would be withdrawn.

I also note you're now leaving on Thursday having gained nothing you wanted.. lol. QED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    so your protest notes cite Liouse Richardson as being responsible for diminishing responsibilities here - the basic fact is that she can do absolutely nothing about education cuts. Do you honestly think she is in favour of them?

The real problem with your protest is that it marginalises the issue. The majority of students agree that education cuts are probably a bad thing and that the governements business model for education is a bit crazy, but by ramming yourself in LPH with a bunch of leftsocers and camapaigning as if you are an oppressed minority, the issue loses credibility. What you should have done is helped push through more widespread action from within the union (indeed, it would appear you have there support).

Locking yourself in LPH is disruptive to the very thing you're trying to improve - St Mary's Library was shut yesterday etc I think you guys are either incredibly stupid to think your actions will have any effect or more likely are just protesting for the sake of it - I wish the university would step up their action, personally I would set an out date after which all protesters permission to proceed would be withdrawn.

I also note you're now leaving on Thursday having gained nothing you wanted.. lol. QED
    If they shut St Mary's library that has nothing to do with us, rather, the paranoia of estates. Also yes we do have, if not support, at least semi-support from the Union, and we've had loads of students come by to help us out, on our first night for example loads of people came by to give us food, and a guy dropped of some fleeces and his academic gown! We always planned to leave LPH on Thursday, we haven't been forced out of here and could have maintained occupation for longer, however we felt we should have joined the ranks of the tens of thousands of students who'll be taking action tomorrow. In trying to portray us as a minority you seem to forget that this is a movement which is nationwide, as I've mentioned we've had messages of solidarity from loads of universities in the UK and from individuals themselves.
    If people act, then even if we fail ultimately we'll have a higher chance of success than if students as a whole had just gone to the pub and grumbled about what was going on (surely that would have been living up to another stereotype of the lazy apathetic student??). I know the two situations are by no means identical, but can you really see the poll tax having been repealed if everybody had just accepted it. No doubt it's your types who were calling the hundreds of thousands of people marching against that particular government infringement a minority, and suggesting they should just sit back and wait for years to possibly elect another government which would do nothing to elevate their situation. Don't worry, we wont be coming out on Thursday claiming a victory, we haven't won a victory, and wont win a victory just in St Andrews, this is a national thing and is going to spread beyond students very very soon. Wait until the public services come on strike, this isn't a student fight, or at least wont be for long. Tiocfaidh Ar La

PS. Good news everyone, government buildings in Glasgow seem to have gone into occupation, whilst there's also talk of occupying the buildings of tax evading companies, for example Topshop and Vodafone. A school in Camden this morning became the first Secondary School to enter a state of occupation.

ReputationRep:
    If they shut St Mary's library that has nothing to do with us, rather, the paranoia of estates. Also yes we do have, if not support, at least semi-support from the Union, and we've had loads of students come by to help us out, on our first night for example loads of people came by to give us food, and a guy dropped of some fleeces and his academic gown! We always planned to leave LPH on Thursday, we haven't been forced out of here and could have maintained occupation for longer, however we felt we should have joined the ranks of the tens of thousands of students who'll be taking action tomorrow. In trying to portray us as a minority you seem to forget that this is a movement which is nationwide, as I've mentioned we've had messages of solidarity from loads of universities in the UK and from individuals themselves.
    If people act, then even if we fail ultimately we'll have a higher chance of success than if students as a whole had just gone to the pub and grumbled about what was going on (surely that would have been living up to another stereotype of the lazy apathetic student??). I know the two situations are by no means identical, but can you really see the poll tax having been repealed if everybody had just accepted it. No doubt it's your types who were calling the hundreds of thousands of people marching against that particular government infringement a minority, and suggesting they should just sit back and wait for years to possibly elect another government which would do nothing to elevate their situation. Don't worry, we wont be coming out on Thursday claiming a victory, we haven't won a victory, and wont win a victory just in St Andrews, this is a national thing and is going to spread beyond students very very soon. Wait until the public services come on strike, this isn't a student fight, or at least wont be for long. Tiocfaidh Ar La

PS. Good news everyone, government buildings in Glasgow seem to have gone into occupation, whilst there's also talk of occupying the buildings of tax evading companies, for example Topshop and Vodafone. A school in Camden this morning became the first Secondary School to enter a state of occupation.
    you honestly didn't read my comment - again you like to feel attacked when infact that is not the case - Most people agree with you judging from the unions ming campaign but by throwing your toys out of the pram in a protest in LPH you achieve nothing - the government will not care less what happens in LPH, this is simply a protest for the sake of it.

The whole point is that groups like you guys de-credit the large scale national protests which you seek to boost.. Personally I just think it's a waste of your own time and efforts and not something that the university (who are ultimately more or less on your side..) should have to put up with.

The whole 'occupation solidarity' nonsense is just a game, not a serious or effective protest. I would support disciplinary procedures against all students involved.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.