Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a few days at some investment banks next week and have been told to get familiar with current topics in the investment banking industry by reading the FT and the Economist. Now, I plan to do those things, but if anyone on SR has any interesting info to dish, that would be awesome.

These are some topics I was sent to look at:

• Ireland/Europe debt crisis
    • UK Government spending cuts
    • US quantitative easing part 2
    • Korea on brink of war
    • Currency wars
    • China inflation story
    • Emerging markets (BRIC)
    • General Motors (GM) and the most high profile IPO in history
    • Cadbury and Kraft
    • The Australian Dollar

Does anyone know anything more/relevant to IB about these topics? Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and the two banks I am going to are Nomura and Goldman Sachs (a BB as I have recently discovered) so if anyone has any good issues relating to these banks then that would be amazing to hear as well!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, how did you get those? A relative in the industry?

ReputationRep:
    What specifically would you like to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    What specifically would you like to know?
    Well, I want to be able to ask the people at the banks questions and converse with them while seeming in-the-know. So basically... I specifically want to know more about what political/economic things (e.g. Greece/Spain/Ireland debt crisis, UK spending cuts, Korea tensions) have to do with investment banking and general insights into how the British/American/international stock markets are fairing as of right now.

I'm being kind of vague with my questions but I'm a total beginner so... any info and insights or interesting tidbits would be really useful to me. I am looking through the resources on SR right now and they are massively useful, so really all I need is investment banking/financial info relating to current events. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Wow, how did you get those? A relative in the industry?
    ill second that. How does one manage to be "doing a few days at some investment banks"

ReputationRep:
    dont bother with asking them forced crap about those stories, which are pretty much the biggest atm... specifically piigs, forex fights, gold (is it a bubble?), equity performance this yr and forecasts for next, 90 bucks brent, gm was big on the day but not really a big deal anymore.

if there are any stories out of those which you are really interested in then get to know it well and ask them stuff you really want to know, if you dont care then dont ask.

oh and enjoy it, get to know the jobs, try and find if its what you wanna do, and if it is try and learn what you should be doing to get in there! be fun and good to talk to.

Making money.

ReputationRep:
      At the moment we talk about:

Spain - is it f***ed?
      SGD, HKD (and selling dollar earnings forward) is it a crowded trade?
      Corruption in India
      Food price inflation in Asia
      Brazil carry
      are Asian financials cheap or are their bad loans going to kill earnings in 2011
      gaining access to tier 3/4/5 chinese property
      Mongolia (we've been long all year) and are starting to trim the position

(I work predominantly on EM hence most of what we do ignores US, western Europe)

ReputationRep:
      Sounds like the SEO first year event...

ReputationRep:
      Nobody talks about this stuff when making general conversation, ud be better off reading up on arsenal or chelsea or about the bars in Islington etc.

(Original post by lookingforacar)
        Nobody talks about this stuff when making general conversation, ud be better off reading up on arsenal or chelsea or about the bars in Islington etc.
        Especially Arsenal. With me.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by josh_v)
        ill second that. How does one manage to be "doing a few days at some investment banks"
        LOL I applied for a work experience scheme and got on it, what else? Sadly no affluent relatives, Don John

@rozzr and Samoan, that's exactly the kind of info I needed and so thanks for your help! It all sounds interesting and complicated so I'll definitely follow your advice and look into what grabs me and seems relevant.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by memopanda)
        LOL I applied for a work experience scheme and got on it, what else? Sadly no affluent relatives, Don John

@rozzr and Samoan, that's exactly the kind of info I needed and so thanks for your help! It all sounds interesting and complicated so I'll definitely follow your advice and look into what grabs me and seems relevant.
        Seriously? Are you in sixth form? How did you get a place on this work experience scheme without any knowledge in any of the topics you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by President_Ben)
        Especially Arsenal. With me.
        Huh, always had you pegged as a Chelsea man.

(Original post by Don_Lad)
          Huh, always had you pegged as a Chelsea man.
          Foolish.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Don_Lad)
          Seriously? Are you in sixth form? How did you get a place on this work experience scheme without any knowledge in any of the topics you mentioned?

I submitted a CV, cover letter and online application, same as everyone else..... And no, I'm an undergrad, my SR info is way out of date.

ReputationRep:
          It's the SEO first year program. Excessive prep is not required. Just stay up to date on what's going on in the world, and use the opportunity to try and figure out which division you're most suited to.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by President_Ben)
          Foolish.
          Apologies.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by memopanda)
          I submitted a CV, cover letter and online application, same as everyone else..... And no, I'm an undergrad, my SR info is way out of date.
          Ah, so is it an SEO first-year event?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.