Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After dropping out of uni last year, I spent my entire gap year just waiting for uni to start. I had a miserable year, I was lonely, unrequited love, couldn't get out of bed in the morning, sometimes spent the whole day in bed, I just knew that going to uni would make it all better.

So now I'm here, and it's not. And now i've got the added stress of lectures. I don't go to any, I don't go to tutorials. I hate myself even more because I'm wasting so much money, I'm wasting myself on it. I have 4As and I go to one of the best universities in the UK. I don't know if it's my course, or if it's me. But I know i'm not worth it for any other course. I have no interests, so I don't know what I could do anyway. I probably have to stick it out, have to get a degree at the end of the day. But at the rate I'm going I'm not sure...Funnily enough I haven't got any sort of disciplinary yet. But I have an end of term meeting with my tutor and I need to mention some things to me.

Last year, I was sexually assaulted. I didn't realise it, but months later I was developing signs of post traumatic stress disorder. Now, I am looking at different signs and I'm showing signs of depression. My father was diagnosed with depression a couple of months ago. I remember a few years ago, me and my dad forced my mum out of depression just before it got too serious. We signed her up to art lessons. She always was an artist, but had ceased doing it due to her job. But my parents both have interests, my mum: her art, my dad; his golf. I don't know what I can do.

I've booked an appointment with my GP tomorrow (never met him before). I don't know who else to go to. But I don't know what to say. I'm scared I won't be able to say anything, and he'll just think me a freak...

ReputationRep:
    Literally all you need to say is 'I've been feeling low' or 'I think I might be depressed'. They will take it from there - ask you some questions, just say what you've said here. Also, most unis I think have counselling service that you can go to without even needing to go to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Read 'the secret' or watch the vid on youtube. It kind of helped me. I read the book too was so good. X

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear it. I'm in the 2nd year of Uni and I have similar feelings of hopelessness. The GPs are used to people who can't express their feelings well just tell as much as you can. The University will be able to help in regards to work if you fear depression is getting in the way. There are always ways around. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hi their, look i know what its like to have alot of problems and worries, looking foward to new chapters that turn out to suck. But please, the only thing you can do is really try to make the best of everything. you go to a great uni, well done you have done somthing amazing and you should be really proud of yourself now go and make the most of it. you have a great chance to make this the best itme of your life. i know what it is like to have family members with problems, many of mine suffer from depression too and i know its hard but you must just try to do your best to help them whilst getting on with your own life its easier said than done i know but you must try. its hard to really help this way so please feel really free to pm me whenever you want, i may not be able to do much but i will try my best. im up l8 doing homework anyway lol. And as for the doctor, dont worry at all. its nothing he or she aint seen before and the doc is their to help. just take advantage of it and tell them everything. anyway hope this helped and pm whenever .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.