The Student Room Group

ARGENTINA formally recognises Palestinian State - Israel claims it is "regrettable"

Following Brazil's formal recognition of Palestinian statehood earlier last week...

EDIT: URUGUAY due to formally recognise Palestine as a state in the near future.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/07/3086974.htm?section=justin

From AFP

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) Argentina announced Monday that it recognizes the Palestinian territories as a free and independent state within their 1967 borders, a step it said reflects frustration at the slow progress of peace talks with Israel.

President Cristina Fernandez informed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas of the decision, which follows a similar move by Brazil, Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman said.

Argentina is "deeply frustrated" that the goals of the 1991 peace talks in Madrid and the Oslo Accords of 1993 still have not been reached, Timerman said. "The time has come to recognize Palestine as a free and independent state," he said.

He stressed that Argentina also "ratifies its irrevocable position in favor of the right of Israel to be recognized by everyone and to live in peace and security within its borders."

Argentina has a deep interest in seeing Israelis and Palestinians agree to a deep and lasting peace in the Middle East, Timerman said. "Argentina's decision to recognize the Palestine state is based in the desire of its authorities to favor the process of negotiation aimed at ending the conflict."

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki rejoiced at Argentina's decision, which comes three days after Brazil's recognition. He told The Associated Press on Monday that he expects Uruguay and Paraguay to recognize Palestinian statehood in the next few days, followed by Bolivia and Ecuador.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/12/201012619131648126.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jSJuERC8IRVch1Jq7NVRjLMWqMSQ?docId=6d0d0a3bd0234dc089643fca95c7f64c

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8182403/Brazil-formally-recognises-Palestinian-statehood.html

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2010/12/06/128704.html

DISCUSS

Personally, I am absolutely ecstatic about the growing recognition of the Palestinian State in south America. Brazil, Argentina and hopefully many more to come. Overt examples of world leaders putting their power where their mouth is in a conscientious force for good. Brazil & Argentina are an example to us all.

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If as other's pointed out in the last thread the 1967 borders are indefensible then there is no way the Israeli's will ever allow the country to revert back to these borders.
Reply 2
"United Kingdom formaly recognises the state of palastine"

Too soon?.......
"He [Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki] told The Associated Press on Monday that he expects Uruguay and Paraguay to recognize Palestinian statehood in the next few days, followed by Bolivia and Ecuador."

What, is it "South America recognises Palestine Week" or summat?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr. Orange
"He [Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki] told The Associated Press on Monday that he expects Uruguay and Paraguay to recognize Palestinian statehood in the next few days, followed by Bolivia and Ecuador."

What, is it "South America recognises Palestine Week" or summat?

Internationally South America often acts like a bloc
Original post by Aj12
Internationally South America often acts like a bloc

fair enough, but then people might start thinking "oh they are only just saying that otherwise they'll upset their neighbouring countries" because i am fairly certain that not every person in South America thinks exactly the same.
Reply 6
I'm gonna walk with a hop in my step tomorrow :yep:

But seriously, i'm happy about this. I don't think it means much in the way of actual change but you know, maybe it's a sign for the forseeable future.
Reply 7
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

DISCUSS

Inevitably if they recognize Palestine within the borders of 67, it also means they don't recognize Palestine beyond these borders.

As someone who rejects the existence of Israel, you should really be upset, not happy.
Uruguay have joined Brazil in recognising an independent Palestinian state, earning an immediate sharp rebuke from Israel and causing unease in the United States.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/07/3086974.htm?section=justin
Original post by borismor
Inevitably if they recognize Palestine within the borders of 67, it also means they don't recognize Palestine beyond these borders.

As someone who rejects the existence of Israel, you should really be upset, not happy.

I reject the existence of a Zionist state, however, I am in favour of any and all measure that give Palestinians the rights and freedoms they deserve, first and foremost being their right to their own state.

And under what pretence can you calculate that Palestine will not encompass the whole of what we currently refer to Israel in the future?
Reply 10

And under what pretence can you calculate that Palestine will not encompass the whole of what we currently refer to Israel in the future?

The fact that it's not internationally recognized beyond the 67 borders.

You fail to understand that a recognition of a Palestinian state inside the 67 borders equals the two state solution.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
End apartheid! Recognise Palestine! Boycott and disinvest the apartheid and illegitimate genocidal "State of Israel"!

Very good news indeed. May peace in the region prevail. :smile:

Israel called the announcement by Buenos Aires "regrettable" and said it went against an Israeli-Palestinian agreement that such a state should only be recognised with Israeli approval.

Sounds fair, ey? :rolleyes:

See the video in my sig for more explanation.
(edited 13 years ago)
This explains Canada's behaviour then.
(edited 13 years ago)
The UK will nevr
Reply 14
I'd rather recognise Palestine than Israel.
Original post by borismor
The fact that it's not internationally recognized beyond the 67 borders.

You fail to understand that a recognition of a Palestinian state inside the 67 borders equals the two state solution.

Which Palestinians may or may not be in favour of. It is up to them to decide what is best for their own country. However, I don't see why a formal recognition of a particular countries borders means that that particular state is bound by law to remain in that position. Despite recognition of those borders, Palestinians may still push for a one state solution under no occupation. Of course you will push for Zionist lies, racism is built into your psyche, but the plight of Palestinian independence and freedom is being recognised more and more, and this is just the beginning.
Reply 16
i thought we already recognised palestine it is labelled on the map after all
Reply 17
Which Palestinians may or may not be in favour of. It is up to them to decide what is best for their own country.

So if you're not even sure if that's what the Palestinians want, what are you so happy about then?

However, I don't see why a formal recognition of a particular countries borders means that that particular state is bound by law to remain in that position.

The international law recognizes Israel as an independent state within the borders of 67. In this case Argentina's formal recognitions coincides with the law. That's pretty much why.

Despite recognition of those borders, Palestinians may still push for a one state solution under no occupation.

In which case it won't have the support of the international community or the law.

Like I said - recognitions of a Palestinian state within the borders of 67 means a two state solution.

Of course you will push for Zionist lies, racism is built into your psyche, but the plight of Palestinian independence and freedom is being recognised more and more, and this is just the beginning.

I'll push for a two state solution and an end to the conflict.
This is nice - South American countries are suddenly becoming relevant.

My reply to this is the same as Brazil's recognition...

"It needs to be understood why this is so dangerous, both to Israel and to the cause of peace. First, the Brazilian move, if copied by many others, all but scuppers any hope of meaningful peace talks. Why would the Palestinians make concessions or negotiate for something the world is going to give them anyway? Second, for Israel the 1967 lines are militarily indefensible and no Israeli government could ever agree to them as the borders of a Palestinian state. Recognition along 1967 lines would therefore place Israel in a state of perpetual conflict with the Palestinians and the international community. Thirdly, it would risk inciting Palestinian society to more violence. In the absence of a peace agreement negotiated between the parties, a declaration of independence would turn the Israelis from “occupiers” to “invaders” in the eyes of the Palestinians, thus providing a new pretext for terrorism."

Another interesting quote is the reply to this article...

"Amazing how Brazil can decide that the 1967 “border” which is actually the 1949 armistice lines of a cease fire can serve as a border defining two states while one side intransigently refuses to recognize the other."

Source: http://www.robinshepherdonline.com/argentina-and-other-latin...
Original post by DJkG.1
End apartheid! Recognise Palestine! Boycott and disinvest the apartheid and illegitimate genocidal "State of Israel"!

It's a pretty small genocide considering the military capability of Israel. Oh wait, that's because it's not a genocide. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending