Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accounting-should i take the sandwich degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    This question is to anyone who is planning to take an accounting course in uni or is already taking it. I want to take accounting/accounting and finance in uni but I don't know whether I should study the 3 years program or the 4 years with industrial placement (sandwich degree)

My initial thought was to take the 4 years as I thought it would be good to have that work experience however my aunt recommended that i do the 3 years. She said that its better to do the 3 years and get my degree done rather than take a year out to for work experience because theres a chance i may get lazy after that third year :P

im also worried that if i do take that 3rd year out, by the time I return to uni for my final year, i wont remember what I've studied in the previous years. :/

So basically, what do you guys recommend? should i stick to the 3 years and get my degree done first or should i opt for the 4 years to gain the experience?

[btw, i plan to train a further 3 years after my degree to become a chartered accountant]

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mature student (25) and work with many people who have excellent degrees and all of them have given me the same advice. If i study a degree then take as much work experience/placements as possible. If an employer have the option of hiring someone with A) Degree in X or B) Degree in X plus one year experience, then it is likely candidate B would get the job....Real hands on experience is much different to classroom based training/work.
    Most graduates have said this exact some thing to me!

You just need to keep yourself focused after the sandwich year and keep yourself motivated to complete one more year to gain your full degree

P.S This is in general terms, it might not be revelant to the world of accountants. I'm not sure how competive these jobs are. For all i know chartered accountants may walk into jobs quite easily so my post might not apply to you!

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem as you
    I think the experience would be really good specially now that accounting is so competitive
    and i dont think you'd forget everything if you do take a 3rd year out, because you'll have the role of an accountant anyway, it's a case of earning on the job
    but then on the other hand, my sister did accounting and finance in uni and only graduated in the summer, yet she's now on a graduate course with Deloitte the top accounting firm in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traveller09)
    ..If i study a degree then take as much work experience/placements as possible. If an employer have the option of hiring someone with A) Degree in X or B) Degree in X plus one year experience, then it is likely candidate B would get the job....Real hands on experience is much different to classroom based training/work.
    Most graduates have said this exact some thing to me!

You just need to keep yourself focused after the sandwich year and keep yourself motivated to complete one more year to gain your full degree ...
    Thanks for your advice After much thinking I think I will choose the sandwich degree. The experience will be good for me with jobs getting increasingly competitive.
    Just need to make sure I stay focused in my final year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda.Duong)
    I have the exact same problem as you
    I think the experience would be really good specially now that accounting is so competitive
    and i dont think you'd forget everything if you do take a 3rd year out, because you'll have the role of an accountant anyway, it's a case of earning on the job
    but then on the other hand, my sister did accounting and finance in uni and only graduated in the summer, yet she's now on a graduate course with Deloitte the top accounting firm in the world.
    Your sister is lucky! Have you thought about what you are going to do yet? I've decided to take the sandwich degree. Like you said, accounting is so competitive now and it wouldn't hurt to have the work experience

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do the placement year.

I did a placement year last year (although not for accounting) and I have come back from it to do my final year MORE rather than less motivated than I was before. I feel more organised, focussed and refreshed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.Amy)
    Your sister is lucky! Have you thought about what you are going to do yet? I've decided to take the sandwich degree. Like you said, accounting is so competitive now and it wouldn't hurt to have the work experience
    I know!!
    she's going to be the big sister who earns a ton, whilst I'm the little poor sister in uni.. I know who to ask to lend a hand now
    I'm still undecided... I've applied for some unis that's a 3 year course and one that's an 4 year course. Have you applied to uni yet? if so.. to which unies?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.