Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any threads about. The UK Championship is on.

I'm surprised and disappointed that Ronnie is out so early. Same with Alli Carter.
    Nice to see the legends that are Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White play today. Jimmy has improved so much.

Anything snooker, post away!

ReputationRep:
    One of those days for Ronnie, just cba. Hendry-White was a disgraceful display of snooker, painful to watch

ReputationRep:
    snooker?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    One of those days for Ronnie, just cba. Hendry-White was a disgraceful display of snooker, painful to watch
    Error strewn for sure, but I still liked watching it. Nostalgia and all that.

ReputationRep:
    What has Hendry been smoking? Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame snooker went so dwonhill over the last few years. I remember a time when everyone would be tuning in for the uk/world championships - it's not the case anymore. A lot of money evaporated from the game.

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone make of power snooker? When ITV4 showed the one day competition I was actually quite impressed cos there was audience participation, the players showed a bit of personality and it was entertaining stuff. I find the longer format too intense these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    It's a shame snooker went so dwonhill over the last few years. I remember a time when everyone would be tuning in for the uk/world championships - it's not the case anymore. A lot of money evaporated from the game.
    If only we could go back 10 years or so- Stephen Hendry was close to the top of his game, Ronnie was less unpredictable and playing like a genius, Paul Hunter (R.I.P) was producing storming comebacks in those masters finals......then there was Williams, Stevens, Higgins, Ebdon, Doherty also fighting it out in the big events.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see a Higgins/Williams final tbf.
    They both look like they could do with some motivation, and I reckon getting to the final could provide that for them.

I just realised that there's NI/Eng/Sco/Wal all represented in the semi finals. That's quite cool.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent game between Murphy and Robertson. I had Robertson as my favourite to win it (yeah, i like to stick my neck out).

Higgins vs Allen is pretty high quality so far.
    Murphy is gonna win the tournament though. That semi is gonna be a cracker. I expect Murhy and Williams to both go for it, they can't play any other way! Expect plenty of aggressive and attacking play.

I don't buy the argument that 10 years ago snooker was better. It's just as good today, if not the quality is slightly better. It's definitely less popular than before, not as publicised as it used to be. It could be down to money? Maybe when China matures things will change. They're gonna be a power in snooker very soon and who knows, it might become an Olympic sport?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was stronger 10 years ago, there was so much talent about. There is some now but the players are less consistent, i'd say only Higgins and Robertson play close to their best regularly plus the pockets are bigger than they used to be. Impressive afternoon session today, nicely poised but I expect Higgins will dig it out as usual, shame because he shouldn't be allowed near a professional snooker event

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I think it was stronger 10 years ago, there was so much talent about. There is some now but the players are less consistent, i'd say only Higgins and Robertson play close to their best regularly plus the pockets are bigger than they used to be. Impressive afternoon session today, nicely poised but I expect Higgins will dig it out as usual, shame because he shouldn't be allowed near a professional snooker event
    Consistency is not quite there, true. Take Selby as an example. He was on fire a year or two ago and his quality was extremely high. He hasn't made it far this tournament. The same can be said of a lot of players but overall, in a tournament, I think the quality is as good as any other time. This UK Championship has been pretty good overall, despite the likes of Ronnie going out so early.

I really used to dislike Mark Williams (always with that long face) but I'm really pleased to see he's made his way back to the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I really used to dislike Mark Williams (always with that long face) but I'm really pleased to see he's made his way back to the top.
    Same here, I used to hate him because he was so good but i'm glad he's back. He's been shocking this week though

ReputationRep:
    Good match coming up today :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Murphy's form has left him today. It's getting a little scrappy! Williams is getting several attempts at each frame. I hope Murphy steps up.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe Williams made it to the final. I take back what I said. 3-1 up, he may even win it now.

ReputationRep:
    Well I dunno what to say to that, I have seen most of the WC and Master finals for the last 15+ years and this was eaisly amongst the best

Williams was literally a few millimeters away from winning that before Higgins somehow pulled it back.

Amazing

Look forward to the Masters which is only a month away.

ReputationRep:
    Corrupt **** made out to be some sort of hero, a sad day for snooker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Well I dunno what to say to that, I have seen most of the WC and Master finals for the last 15+ years and this was eaisly amongst the best

Williams was literally a few millimeters away from winning that before Higgins somehow pulled it back.

Amazing

Look forward to the Masters which is only a month away.
    For drama yes, but for quality of snooker the semi-final and final have been quite poor. Even 9-6 or whatever up, I thought Higgins would steal it. You know why? Because Williams needs 2 or 3 attempts to win a frame. Besides the odd great pot or break, Williams simply capitalised on Higgins poor play and misses-- and boy did Higgins miss a lot (especially that corner left pocket). Williams struggled all tournament and he and the commentators were surprised how he'd made it that far.

The semi-finals were the same. Murphy played very badly, the worst he's played in the tournament, and Williams just prodded along with his 2 or 3 attempts and won frame by frame. It says something that Williams' highest break going in to the final was 87 and he didn't do a century I believe until the twelfth frame.

Higgins was relatively poor too and he's gonna be the world no.1 now. He's generally quite consistent so I was surprised he played so badly.

The level of snooker was below par. Sad to see the commentators trying to muster up enthusiasm about the quality of snooker on display-- there wasn't much.

Oh and as Economist said, didn't Higgins take bribes? I never followed the story.

ReputationRep:
    There was no proof he ever actually took any bribes

IIRC what happened was that (after a lot of other stuff) they got taken to a hotel room and offered bribes. They then left and Higgins never told the auhtorities like he was supposed to

He got in trouble for not telling the authorities because he was under a duty to but he never actually took any bribes.

It does sound fishy but you have to bear in mid the NOTW probably did (well definitley did) spent a lot of time and money to engineer that meeting which they showed us only a few minutes of.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.