Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a question how many lessons did it take people here to learn there clutch control i mean starting on a hill without hand brake, an areas like that.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got my test on Friday and ive had almost 30 lessons which should reach 32- 34 if i get as many as i can this week. It took me about 6 lessons to get my clutch control right and i did a hill start perfectly first time on the steepest road around me. My problems are all related to meeting traffic which i sorted last week and now i just want to do as much as i can so i can pass. My brother struggled on manoeuvres, it depends what sort of driver you are.

I don't remember exactly but it took a fair few to not go through a lesson without stalling during normal driving. I wouldn't worry about it - stressing just makes it worse.

ReputationRep:
      Took me about half an hour to perfect it, even my instructor was surprised :eek:

ReputationRep:
      I can't remember exactly, perhaps my 15th lesson or around then. But I only truely got it when my test was approaching and completely fine after passing and getting more experience.

ReputationRep:
      10 minutes. Just sit in your family car on the drive and move it forward and back a foot with your left foot alone - it'll come in no time. :yy:

ReputationRep:
      Took me forever to learn clutch control. Everything else was fine, but I didn't really get clutch control til right before my test.

Much better on the bike, though, didn't take me long at all.

ReputationRep:
      As other people have said on here: If you have access to another car and an open, private space then it's pretty silly to spend £25 an hour learning how to do clutch control and changing gears etc.

ReputationRep:
      One lesson.

ReputationRep:
      Learn: 1 lesson
      Perfect it? I'm not quite there yet

ReputationRep:
      1 lesson.
      I was allowed to drive on some mainish roads too, and drive home.
      I had driven a car before though(once round a car park), and when i was younger, used to control the gears for whomever was driving...so i had a main concept of it anyway.

ReputationRep:
      Would they make you do a hill start as part of the test ?

Also when doing the 3 point turn, is that considered a hill start due to the bump on the road.
      Are you always mean't to use the handbrake before you release the clutch and get the biting point. ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
      Would they make you do a hill start as part of the test ?

Also when doing the 3 point turn, is that considered a hill start due to the bump on the road.
      Are you always mean't to use the handbrake before you release the clutch and get the biting point. ?
      Yes, sometimes. It depends if the examiner can be arsed and if you don't happen to do one anyway during the course of ~40 minutes driving.

A 3 point turn does not include a hill start by any means, and the handbrake thing might be something you get tought to do when you start learning but I doubt anyone does it after their test. I know I don't.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DJkG.1)
      10 minutes. Just sit in your family car on the drive and move it forward and back a foot with your left foot alone - it'll come in no time. :yy:
      That's fine when you're on your own drive or a car park and in no hurry to be anywhere. When I was stopped at traffic lights and heard the cars behind me hooting it took quite a bit of practice to not bring the clutch up too quickly.

ReputationRep:
      If you're panicking and under pressure, floor the accelerator and you can then do what you like with the clutch. Downside is possibly setting fire to your tires, but on the plus side, you might cover the grumpy wotsit behind you in a thick plume of smoke.

ReputationRep:
      I don't understand what i have to do with the pedals when im about to set off. Sometimes the car makes a noise, which i think is overrevving of the engine. When i set off, i bring the clutch up, and sometimes i stall.

Apparently my instructor says i have to bring it up with the accelarator. He says the phrase "set the gas"

Does anyone know what he mean's by this ?

ReputationRep:
      I SUCK at clutch control, my hill starts are awful! But I'm pretty good at maneuvers (how the **** do you spell that word?). As you can see it varies from person to person

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
      I don't understand what i have to do with the pedals when im about to set off. Sometimes the car makes a noise, which i think is overrevving of the engine. When i set off, i bring the clutch up, and sometimes i stall.

Apparently my instructor says i have to bring it up with the accelarator. He says the phrase "set the gas"

Does anyone know what he mean's by this ?
      Fairly sure he's referring to finding the biting point, slowly increasing acceleration whilst gently lifting your foot off the clutch until the point where the car will be able to set off when you remove the handbrake.

And as for clutch control... Learn? Got it by the second lesson. Perfected? As soon as I got a Jazz. Clutch control in that machine is so damn easy.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Took me one lesson to learn it. To perfect it on the other hand, I would suggest going for a long drive during rush hour time (around 5pm) on busy/main roads where there is also plenty of traffic lights and roundabouts and hills. Also attempt to park on very steep hills and attempt three-point-turns on very steep hills. Do all of this repeatedly and you'll perfect proper clutch control in no time, it'll come to you naturally.

ReputationRep:
      Forget clutch control, people need to stop braking sharply for no reason. Honestly the amount of drivers that brake halfway through a traffic light, for no reason,arrrghhhhhhhhhh.

Lol, apart from that my instructor used to take me to busy roads, it does the trick.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.