Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Requesting input... am I commiting an academic faux pas Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps I'm just being stupid. Please share your thoughts:

• I'm applying to 3 or 4 universities

• I wrote a research proposal

• I sent it to Professor X (in my #1 choice university)

• He liked it, and agreed to dialogue with me on it

• Should I mention my research proposal when applying to the other universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    I sent it to Professor X (in my #1 choice university)
    NO WAY! You want to get into Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    NO WAY! You want to get into Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    Or perhaps I'm just being stupid. Please share your thoughts:

• I'm applying to 3 or 4 universities

• I wrote a research proposal

• I sent it to Professor X (in my #1 choice university)

• He liked it, and agreed to dialogue with me on it

• Should I mention my research proposal when applying to the other universities? Do I need to tell them I've sent it to Professor X and we're dialoguing on it? Should I also send it to other professors in these other universities I'm applying to?

• My thoughts are: If I end up getting my #1 choice, then I'd have to tell the other profs "sorry, I got a better offer, taking it up, thanks for the help though!" like I'm stabbing them in the back or something. :-/
    Relax. Plenty of students do the same. If the other universities require a research proposal, use it. You don't need to mention that you've sent it to a professor and you can send it professors at other unis if you want. It's your choice.

If you do have an offer, withdrawing any others you've received is easy. You can either send back the acceptance slip (if they send you one) and tick you won't be taking up the offer or e-mail the admissions officer.

ReputationRep:
    Relax, as with dating or applying for jobs - I think everyone is aware that at this stage you are speaking to other people (or if you aren't you should be!). It isn't disloyal or underhand; it is just about maximising your opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    Relax. Plenty of students do the same. If the other universities require a research proposal, use it. You don't need to mention that you've sent it to a professor and you can send it professors at other unis if you want. It's your choice.

If you do have an offer, withdrawing any others you've received is easy. You can either send back the acceptance slip (if they send you one) and tick you won't be taking up the offer or e-mail the admissions officer.
    entirely agree! wish i could rep this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.