Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever read a book and thought, "What?!" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the verge of completing Mrs Dalloway, and quite frankly am puzzled. I knew I wouldn't be able to make much sense of it without reading extra material devoted entirely to its meanings and themes, but has anyone else had this?

More specifically, can anyone enlighten me on Mrs Dalloway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I'm on the verge of completing Mrs Dalloway, and quite frankly am puzzled. I knew I wouldn't be able to make much sense of it without reading extra material devoted entirely to its meanings and themes, but has anyone else had this?

More specifically, can anyone enlighten me on Mrs Dalloway?

I was totally perplexed when we read narnia in year 6 (some 14 years ago). And I was perplexed by the symbolism in Lord of the flies (which i read some 8 years ago)

ReputationRep:
    See Spot Run ****ed me over.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. its called a history degree

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you should see my philosophy reading tbh.

Was reading a book this morning called, 'For Marx', which talks about how this bloke Althusser "designates the mutation in the theoretical problematic contemporary with the foundation of a scientific discipline". :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, any shakespeare play... he had a funny way of writing did willy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah after reading David Simon and Ed Burn's 'The Corner: A year in the life of an inner city neighbourhood' i was like ''What?!"

Then i answered my own question with, 'You were simply UNAWARE that this book existed due to a lack of any mention of it and that's why this piece of non fiction genius has passed you by so far'.

Reading David Simon's other book, 'Homicide: Life on the killing streets has just affirmed to me that this man is a complete and utter master of words and his theories and what not regarding what he writes about are inspiring.

I heartily recommend these books and if you refuse to even check them out, i'll be like,

''What?!''

ReputationRep:
    The Bible.

ReputationRep:
    Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-James Joyce

I have never found a book as hard for me to read as this one. Probably didn't help that I really don't like it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

Was reading a book this morning called, 'For Marx', which talks about how this bloke Althusser "designates the mutation in the theoretical problematic contemporary with the foundation of a scientific discipline". :lolwut:
    Althusser - bit of a jargon spouting fraud *allegedly*... he also strangled his wife to death *fact*

His is a useful name to remember - you can cite him as supporting just about any opinion on anything without fear of anyone contradicting you.
    ---
    Novels - Something Happened by Joe Heller... as far as I could tell reading it nothing actually did but the expectation, and that I'd enjoyed Catch 22, kept me going beyond the point where I would normally have given up.

ReputationRep:
    The very end of 1984

ReputationRep:
    The Anathemata by David Jones.

ReputationRep:
    "Basic Chemistry for Medicine"

ReputationRep:
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath had me thinking that for a while.

Morphology of the Folktale by Vladimir Propp.

The Castle by Kafka.

Utter mind melt, the last one.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought 'what?!' in a omg thats messed up way a few times. Like at the end of The Beach' if anyone's ever read that.

Yeah Mrs Dalloway isn't a favourite of mine..

ReputationRep:
    A lot of *******s that my set texts have written in them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yes, catcher in the rye. more as to confusion of why i had wasted my time.

ReputationRep:
    It's called Twilight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

(Original post by Bellissima)
    yeah, any shakespeare play... he had a funny way of writing did willy.
    William S Burroughs, The Ticket That Exploded.

I appear to be one of the few people in the world that can understand Burroughs on first reading. This I feel is not good.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand the end of Harry Potter 7. Granted I read it once and a long time ago but still...

Murder On The Orient Express was just like :lolwut: by the time I reached the end :rofl:

Musicology is full of bull**** :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.