Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The performance of the coalition government thus far Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think Cameron has done well so far. the only negative is the student tuition fee b brew-ha-ha.

I don't see the public spending cuts as negative, they need to be done. Cuts in defence spending, well I don't really care about. The UK has no major enemies at the moment, and the cuts would still leave us with a strong military in world terms.

The economy is recovering well, and manufacturing industries are the biggest contributor to this (which is needed). I think regarding tuition fees, students should pay a graduate tax after they graduate, which would apply to all undergrad and postgrad degrees. It would in effect be no different to a loan, since disposable income would still be less. The difference is that at the time of studying, tuition fees are free, but this is paid back to the state in the form of a tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I think Cameron has done well so far. the only negative is the student tuition fee b brew-ha-ha.

I don't see the public spending cuts as negative, they need to be done. Cuts in defence spending, well I don't really care about. The UK has no major enemies at the moment, and the cuts would still leave us with a strong military in world terms.

The economy is recovering well, and manufacturing industries are the biggest contributor to this (which is needed). I think regarding tuition fees, students should pay a graduate tax after they graduate, which would apply to all undergrad and postgrad degrees. It would in effect be no different to a loan, since disposable income would still be less. The difference is that at the time of studying, tuition fees are free, but this is paid back to the state in the form of a tax.
    I agree with the defence budget, it should be lowered - but I also think Trident should be scrapped.

I don't support the majority of cuts though, the education cuts are absurd in my opinion as are cuts to welfare, benefits & housing. I think they disproportionally hit the poor, lower middle classes and women hardest.

While I support a cut-off point in child benefits, I don't support it at the level it was introduced at or with the loophole of the 1 parent/2 parents thing.

Although I would never personally vote for Tories (or Lib Dems anymore), I keep an open mind on these things as I don't really have much support for Labour either.

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for the education cuts and fee rises, I would say better than expected.

But the fee rise is just too important a matter to be overlooked, so they won't be having my vote in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    Let me know your opinion after the 20% VAT increase. The Tories are sucking the working class of britain, dry.

ReputationRep:
    VAT needs to go up even Alastair Darling said it needs to go to 20% now stop whining about it. ITs not going to makem uch difference to you what so ever...what are you going to do stop buying things. Also its good for people like us who own their own business because now we charge more so get more money and in our field of work people need it so they can't live without. When VAT was lowered to 15% it made no difference so when it rises to 20% its going to make no difference.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather they stop tinkering with the constitution, then I'd be more satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    Clegg gave out promises that got him votes, and subsequently into power. Then went and pissed on them. Say what you want about their performance thus far but that is ****ing disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    Cuts always disproportionately effect the poor. A better system would be one with high inheritance tax- which atually encourages enterprise- and other taxes on the rich. What they're doing is incredibly risky, and in many cases, unnecessary. Their education, health and policing reforms will not save money and will not improve the system. Britain has a bad education system, mainly because we have an unequal society, not the other way round. The failures that exist in the system are caused by competition and cannot be rectified by increasing this. The health reforms will just make a mess. 2/3 of GPs say that they can't be bothered to deal with mental health and they do not have the skills to allocate their resources themselves. Elections will only politicise police, and I don't believe that anyone will take them seriously, as turn-out is already very low. Their mandate is quite weak, since in many cases, the Lib Dems were elected advocating the opposite policies to those that have been introduced. In fact, they have no mandate at all to reorganise the NHS, since they said that there would be no top-down reform of the NHS on their manifesto. While the Tories have been able to do what they wanted to, the Liberals have been performing very badly indeed and have betrayed their supposed principles. So I think the government's performance has been pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to agree with some of the previous statements made regarding the disproportionate cuts, but the main topic here is the student fee rise which simply cannot be ignored.

I'm doing another year with my Sixth Form to pick up extra subjects and there are younger students here saying they no longer want to go to university because they've heard about the fee rise. I think we're going to see a decline in numbers in the coming years.

Lib dems have betrayed all the students that voted them in under the pretence that they might be fighting our corner. Apparently they aren't. They're just enjoying the nice parliament wage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too happy-I think the cuts are risky and while nesscary at some levels the scale and speed of them will hit growth (the best way to get out of debt) and cause long term structual problems with the economy. Depriving millions of key services while increasing the benefits bill massively and throwing hundreds of thousands onto the dole queue seems like a bad idea to me. The scale of cuts in some areas-to benefits and to Higher Education- is also rediculas and targets the one area where Britian is truely a world leader at a time when other countries are increasing spending on higher education. trying to replace State funding with student funding isn't just morally dubious but also foolish as the 80% cut in teaching grant will hit this year and the tutition feee rise will take 3 years to filter into the shystem thus delivering a huge blow to unviersities without even trying to replace 40% of their budget.

I also think thatb they're going too far, too fast and with very little consultation in almost every area. Free Schools are a expensive disaster which Sweden abanoned for a reason and theres a very good reason why most schools have not applied for them-state education is not a market and should not be treated as much. Its the same with NHS reform: no one wants it. GP's, The Kings Turst and paintents groups have all come out against it yet its still being pushed ahead at great cost (wonder how we can suddenly find £1bn to pay for this vanity project) and witrh little evidence it'll improve standards. Its the same with reforms in so many areas-the only reform I agree with is universal benefit from IDS and the AV referendum. The coalitions use of terror procedures and schedualing motions in the commons is also disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferdi.g)
    If it wasn't for the education cuts and fee rises, I would say better than expected.

But the fee rise is just too important a matter to be overlooked, so they won't be having my vote in the near future.
    Labour set up the browne review. They would have increased fees aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Let me know your opinion after the 20% VAT increase. The Tories are sucking the working class of britain, dry.
    The idea that VAT disproportionately effects the poor is laughable. Read up on what Richard Chote head of the OBR has to say about it if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    They have done much better than I expected - the have held the country together.

ReputationRep:
    Well the cuts haven't really hit yet, so I'll save any comment for then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    so what there are more parties than just Labour and Conservative...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think its going ok. The economy is looking ok.

However Im sick of all these no cuts campaigns, when you ask their solution they demand crippling taxes on the rich despite the fact this leads to much lower tax revenue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think its going ok. The economy is looking ok.

However Im sick of all these no cuts campaigns, when you ask their solution they demand crippling taxes on the rich despite the fact this leads to much lower tax revenue.
    Are the tax demands crippling?? If the people at the top end of the financial scale are living within their means then surely the rate of tax won't affect them too heavily.

After all, we are all in this together aren't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I know, that's why I don't support Labour either (that and many other reasons).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexr115)
    Are the tax demands crippling?? If the people at the top end of the financial scale are living within their means then surely the rate of tax won't affect them too heavily.

After all, we are all in this together aren't we?
    Don't quote political buzzwords as if they have any meaning.

Its been predicted the 50% tax rate will lead to a lower amount of revenue. The higher the tax band the higher he incentive to avoid it

ReputationRep:
    Apart from a few policies I don't agree with, notably the increase in Capital Gains Tax and the AV referendum, I think it's been quite good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.